Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

John and Anna Carr House

200 N. McDowell St

1904



This was the Queen Anne style home of John Price Carr and his wife, Anna Eliza Little Carr. When it was built in 1904, probably by a local carpenter, the house was on the edge of town.

Mr. Carr, who grew up in the Hopewell or Long Creek section of Mecklenburg County, became Charlotte's premier hauler of heavy equipment and machinery at the turn of the century. First with wagons and mules and later with an impressive collection of specialized vehicles, Carr transported all kinds of big things around town. He delivered huge newspaper presses from the railroad station to the Charlotte Observer building. He moved buildings of all types, sizes and shapes. He hauled massive amounts of equipment to Camp Greene during World War I. He was the principal deliverer of merchandise from the railroad stations to the stores of merchants like William Belk and George Ivey.

A member of Second Presbyterian Church, Carr was active in civic affairs. His most notable contribution came as a member of the Board of Directors of Presbyterian Hospital. In July, 1917, the hospital stood on the verge of collapse. It could not raise the money needed to purchase the former campus of Elizabeth College at the top of the hill at the eastern end of Elizabeth Ave. Carr joined with other Board members in personally guaranteeing a $40,000 loan that allowed Presbyterian to move from West Trade St. to the new site in the suburbs.

Anne Price Carr Wurzburg remembered her parents as loving and gracious. "Papa and Mama did so much entertaining. It was quite a grand place, quite the biggest in the neighborhood. It was really a wonderful place to grow up."

By the 1970's, the Carr House had fallen into disrepair and had been turned into a modest apartment complex. But T. Bragg McLeod, another of Charlotte's heavy movers, decided that he couldn't sit by and let the house just fall in. His company bought it and restored the Carr House to its former glory. Look just across McDowell St. when you go to the Uptown Post Office, and you will see this magnificent home.