Non-Textile Industry in 1940
In 1940, there were 243 non-textile manufacturing plants in
Charlotte. They employed 14,000 people and turned out $50 million in goods.
Non-textile industry accounted for an ever-increasing share of the Charlotte
economy. By 1975, the last cotton mill in Charlotte had closed, leaving
textile manufacturing as a part of the past.
Lance's original location was in Dilworth along South Boulevard. As the
snack food manufacturer grew, the location in Dilworth became too small. A
new facility was built several miles further down South Boulevard. The
building pictured here has now been converted into residential space.
Brown Equipment Company
Buckeye Cotton Oil Company
Charlotte Pipe & Foundry Company, interior view
Interstate Milling Company
Southern Spindle and Flyer Plant
Speas Vinegar Plant
Wade Loft Building