This report was written on October 30, 1978
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the
Wood-Platt House is located at 313-315 Hawthorne Ln. in Charlotte, N.C.
2. Name, address and telephone number of the present owner and
occupant of the property:
The property is presently unoccupied.
The present owner of the property is:
Dr. Rutherford Douglas Neal & Wife, Zaida
2532 Hampton Ave.
Charlotte, N.C. 28207
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property: This report
contains a map depicting the location of the property.
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most recent
reference to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1864
at Page 261. The Tax Parcel Number of the property is 08019806.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property:
On December 13, 1902, the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company or
Four C's opened a new
streetcar line which extended approximately three-fourths of a mile from
the intersection of East Ave. (now E. Trade St.) and McDowell St. to a point
three hundred feet west of the main building of Elizabeth College, now the
location of Presbyterian Hospital. 1 This development allowed the
Highland Park Co. to initiate the sale of home lots on the tract of land
which it owned along and in the vicinity of this new transportation
facility. Among the streets of Charlotte's newest streetcar suburb was
Kingston Ave., later to be renamed Hawthorne Ln. 2
On March 3, 1910, Word H. Wood purchased a lot on Kingston Ave. and
erected an imposing home which he and his family occupied in late 1910 or
early 1911. 3 Word H. Wood (1873-1951), a native of Elkin, N.C.
and graduate of Eaton & Burnett Business College in Baltimore, Maryland,
moved from Winston, N.C., to Charlotte in 1901, where he and a boyhood
friend, George Stephens, were instrumental in establishing the American
Trust Company, a leading financial institution of the city. Indeed, Mr. Wood
was the secretary-treasurer of that organization when it opened for business
on July 15, 1901, where he and a boyhood friend, George Stephens, were
instrumental in establishing the American Trust Company. He continued to
serve in that capacity until 1918; in that year he became the president of
the American Trust Co., a position which he occupied until 1943. Thereafter,
he became honorary chairman of the board, having relinquished the presidency
to Torrence E. Hobby. During his career, Word H. Wood achieved the
reputation of being "a leader in the financial and industrial development of
Charlotte and the Carolinas." 4 The Charlotte News
characterized him as a "nationally known banker." 5 The depth and
scope of Mr. Wood's accomplishments suggest that the local newspapers were
justified in speaking in such superlative terms about his career. He was the
initial Commissioner of Banks for North Carolina, appointed to that position
by Gov. O. Max Gardner. He was president of the North Carolina Railroad Co.
for 13 years. He was chairman of the Loan Board of the National Credit
Association for North Carolina. Of more local interest, he was the chairman
of the committee which supervised the construction of Charlotte Memorial
Hospital, president of the company which built the
Hotel Charlotte (most recently the White House Inn) on W. Trade St., a
charter member of the Charlotte Country Club and the leader in bringing a
branch of the
Federal Reserve Bank to Charlotte. 6
Word P. Wood resided in the house which he erected on Kingston Ave. or
Hawthorne Ln. for less than three years. On April 18, 1913, he sold his home
to Caroline Smythe Platt, wife of Charles Edmund Platt. 7 Mr.
Wood moved to
Myers Park, where he maintained his domicile until his death on December
26, 1951. 8 The new owners of the structure, however, continued
the tradition of community involvement which W. H. Wood had begun. Charles
Edmund Platt (1866-1932), a native of Graniteville, S.C., had come to
Charlotte in 1907. The Charlotte News characterized him as a
"prominent resident of the city and reported that he was well known
throughout this section" as an inspector for the Hartford Accident and
Indemnity Co. 9 Mr. Platt was also a member of the Vestry of St.
Martin's Episcopal Church. 10 The civic activities of Mrs. Platt
were more impressive than those of her husband, however. A native of
Spartanburg, S.C., Caroline Smythe Platt spent her childhood in Charleston,
S.C. and Summerville, S.C. The Charlotte Observer stated that Mrs.
Platt "had been one of Charlotte's best known and most loved leaders in
numerous civic, patriotic, church, and humanitarian organizations in the
city, county, and State." She served as the president of an impressive array
of organizations, including the
Charlotte Woman's Club, the North Carolina Federation of Women's Clubs,
the woman's auxiliary of St. Martin's Episcopal Church, the Stonewall
Jackson Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Board of
St. Peter's Hospital. Moreover, Mrs. Platt was a member of the
Mecklenburg Tuberculosis Sanatorium Board, which oversaw the construction of
the sanatorium at Huntersville. Also worth noting is the fact that she
contributed articles on a regular basis for over twenty-five years to The
Charlotte News. 11 Mrs. Platt lived in the house on Hawthorne
Ln. until her death on February 11, 1948. 12
Mr. and Mrs. Platt had no children. No doubt this fact contributed to
their decision to convert the house into a duplex, an operation which was
completed at least as early as 1929 and most probably several years prior to
that date. 13 The practice of multiple occupancy use continued by
Bettie B. Randall, who purchased the house on November 23, 1948, and
operated it as the Charlotte Nursing Home. 14 Dr. R. Douglas Neal
and his wife, Zaida K. Neal, purchased the property on October 11, 1956.
15 Until recently, they operated it as a rooming house. The
structure is currently unoccupied.
1 The Charlotte Daily Observer (December 13, 1902), p.
2 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 168, p. 250.
3 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 256, p. 483. Charlotte City
Directory 1911, p. 428.
4 The Charlotte Observer (December 27, 1951), pp. 1-2.
5 The Charlotte News (December 27, 1951), Sec. 2., p.
6 The Charlotte Observer (December 27, 1951), pp. 1-2.
7 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 314, p. 80.
8 Charlotte City Directory 1914, p. 519. The Charlotte
Observer (December 27, 1951), pp. 1-2.
9 The Charlotte News (June 12, 1932), p. 1.
10 The Charlotte Observer (June 12, 1932), p. 7.
11 The Charlotte Observer (February 12, 1948), p. 6-B.
12 Death Certificate in the Mecklenburg County Health
Department. Directory 1947, p. 65.
13 Sanborn Insurance Map 1929, Vol. 1., p. 65.
14 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1348, p. 86. Charlotte City
Directory 1951, p. 117. Charlotte City Directory 1955, p. 143.
15 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1864, p. 261.
16 Interview of Mrs. Zaida Neal by Dr. Dan L. Morrill (October
7. A brief architectural description of the property:
The Wood-Platt House is a two-story, frame edifice three bays wide and
seven bays deep to which a large, two-story rear addition was erected c.
1948. The dominant and most imposing architectural feature of the structure
is the two-story, pedimented portico enclosing a rarely seen second,
balconied portico, which adorns the front or eastern end of the house. Four
fluted columns with Roman
Ionic capitals rise from molded bases to a wide, amply detailed
entablature. Above this is an expansive high pitched
gable pedimented with unadorned projecting cornices. The gable surface
is square edged clapboard and features a carefully detailed small Palladian
window lunette. Two fluted pilasters with Roman Ionic capitals occur at the
juncture of the portico roof where it joins the body of the house and
balance the scale of the corner portico columns. The one-story, balconied
portico is supported by four fluted columns (one is not extant) with
Doric capitals and is surmounted by a balustrade of sturdy turned wood
balusters with a heavy molded rail which extends across the entire width of
the portico, creating thereby a double-tiered effect for the overall
arrangement of the front porticoes. A crude stairway, erected c. 1948 when
the structure was converted into a nursing home, provides access from ground
level to the top of the one-story portico.
The front entrance is located at the center of the eastern facade and
consists of oak double doors with raised panels below and a beveled glass
side lights and a
transom light. Until recently, the side lights and transom light
contained leaded stain glass reflecting late-Victorian detailing, as did the
transom lights above the windows on the flanking bays of the front facade.
The entry doors provide access to a projecting foyer from which separate
two-panel oak doors with beveled glass upper lights lead to the divided
interior of the house. The floor of the foyer is composed of patterned,
small ceramic tile. A pair of single-lighted, unembellished wooden doors
with a single side light (these are not original) lead from the top of the
one-story portico to a center hallway on the second floor of the structure.
Four brick chimneys with simple corbeled cornices protrude above the gable
cross-gable, slate roof which surmounts the house.
The four rooms at the front of the first floor of the structure are
relatively undisturbed and manifest influences from the various
architectural styles of the late nineteenth century, rather than the
classical shapes of earlier precedents. The two original projections or
porches on the right side of the house have been substantially altered, and
the porch on the rear of the structure was destroyed when the large addition
was erected c. 1948. The house has little noteworthy paneling or molding.
The doorway surrounds, window casings and much of the other interior trim
are oak and feature fluted pilasters typical of the period. An elaborate and
relatively heavy coffered ceiling of oak cased beams -- now painted but
originally stained -- adorns the first two rooms on the right side of the
first floor of the house. The hallways on the innermost walls of both sides
of the first floor contain a pair of wooden half-columns supported by
sizable but unembellished bases. An original
stairway at the center rear of the original portion of the house
provides access to the second story. The
newel posts reinforce the essential simplicity of the interior decor.
The most imposing features of the interior of the house are the three
fireplaces on the first floor. Located on the side walls of the two front
rooms are fireplaces with richly-decorated, metal surrounds and
unembellished, wooden mantelpieces. Even more impressive, however, is the
fireplace in the second room on the left side of the house. Two Doric
columns support a broad mantel highlighted by recessed panels. An imposing
and richly-decorated, metal fireplace cover conceals the fireplace opening.
While the exterior of the house reflects strong
Colonial Revival influences, particularly in the front portico
detailing, there is a distinctive late Victorian character evident. The
windows, for example, are double hung, yet the upper sash show a series of
narrow elongated vertical lights which terminate in pointed triangles
forming diamond lights - all of beveled glass. Then in the lower sash is one
large beveled glass insert with no muntins. The overall character of the
Wood-Platt House is transitional. While the impressive double-tiered front
portico in distinctly Colonial Revival and reflects influences of this
popular turn of the century mode, there are many carry-over details from the
Victorian period. Likely designed by a local architect, the house is a
significant example of the blend often found in fine homes in the early
1900's. The Wood-Platt House is an important reminder of residential design
and construction found in Elizabeth, Dilworth, Myers Park and other
developing suburbs of early twentieth century Charlotte.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria set forth in NCGS 160A-399.4:
a. Historical and cultural significance: The historical and
cultural significance of the property known as the Wood-Platt House rests
upon three factors. First, the structure has architectural significance as
one of the finer examples of transitional style domestic architecture
which survives in Charlotte, N.C. Second, the structure is one of the
earlier houses of Elizabeth, one of Charlotte's initial streetcar suburbs.
Third, the structure has associative ties with individuals of local and
b. Suitability for preservation and restoration: The overall
condition of the structure is fair to good. Indeed, the front of the house
could be easily restored to an approximation of its original appearance.
The interior of the house has been substantially modified, especially in
c. Educational value: The Wood-Platt House has educational value
because of the historical and cultural significance of the property.
d. Cost of acquisition, restoration, maintenance or repair: At
present, the Commission has no intention of securing the fee simple or any
lesser included interest in this property. The Commission presently
assumes that all coats associated with restoring and maintaining the
property will be paid by the owner or subsequent owner of the property.
e. Possibilities for adaptive or alternative use of the property:
The Wood-Platt House is currently zoned 06. The Commission believes that
the structure could be adapted to a variety of purposes.
f. Appraised value: The current tax appraisal of the
improvements on the property is $2,630. The current tax appraisal of the
.288 acres of land is $37,640. The most recent annual tax bill on the
property was $674.53. The Commission is aware that designation would allow
the owner to apply for a deferral of 50% of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or
any portion of the property which becomes "historic property."
g. The administrative and financial responsibility of any person or
organization willing to underwrite all or a portion of such costs: As
stated earlier, the Commission presently has no intention of purchasing
the fee simple or any lesser included interest in this property.
Furthermore, the Commission presently assumes that all costs associated
with the property will be paid by the present or subsequent owners of the
9. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria established for inclusion in the National Register of Historic
Places: The Commission Judges that the property known as the Wood-Platt
House does meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
Basic to the Commission's judgment is its knowledge that the National
Register of Historic Places, established by the National Historic
Preservation Act of 1966, represents the decision of the Federal Government
to expand its recognition of historic properties to include those of local,
regional and State significance. The Commission believes that its
investigation of the property known as the Wood-Platt House demonstrates
that the property possesses local historical and cultural importance.
Consequently, the Commission judges that the property known as the
Wood-Platt House does meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic
10. Documentation of why and in what ways the property is of
historical importance to Charlotte and/or Mecklenburg County: The
property known as the Wood-Platt House is historically important to
Charlotte and Mecklenburg County for three reasons: First, the structure has
architectural significance as one of the finer examples of transitional
style domestic architecture which survives in Charlotte, N.C. Second, the
structure is one of the earlier houses of Elizabeth, one of Charlotte's
initial streetcar suburbs. Third, the structure has associative ties with
individuals of local and regional importance.
Chain of Title
1. Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1864, Page 261 (October 11, 1956).
Grantors Bettie B. Yandell (widow)
Grantees R. Douglas Neal & Wife, Zaida I. Neal
2. Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1348, Page 86 (November 23, 1948).
Grantors James B. Craighill, Commissioner
Grantees Bettie B. Randall
3. Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1257, Page 521 (July 3, 1947).
Grantors Carrie S. Platt (widow)
Grantees Chase, Brenizer, H. C. Dockery & J. M. Shannonhouse, Trustees for
Home Federal Savings and Loan Association (Deed of Trust).
4. Mecklenburg County Deed Book 314, Page 80 (April 18, 1913 ).
Grantors W. H. Wood & Wife, Louisiana G. Wood
Grantees Carrie S. Platt
5. Mecklenburg County Deed Book 256, Page 483 (March 3, 1910).
Grantors Mrs. Luisa D. Duls & Husband, C. H. Duls
Grantees Word H. Wood
An Inventory of Buildings In Mecklenburg County And Charlotte For The
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission.
Charlotte City Directory 1911.
Charlotte City Directory 1914.
Charlotte City Directory 1947.
Charlotte City Directory 1951.
Charlotte City Directory 1955.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Health Department.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Tax Office.
Sanborn Insurance Map 1929.
The Charlotte Daily Observer.
The Charlotte News.
The Charlotte Observer.
Vital Statistics of Mecklenburg County .
Date of Preparation of this report: October 30, 1978
Prepared by: Dr. Dan L. Morrill, Director
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission
139 Middleton Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28207