THE HENRY M. McADEN HOUSE
This report was written on January 5, 1987
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the
Henry M. McAden House is located at 920 Granville Road, Charlotte, North
2. Name, address, and telephone number of the present owner the
property: The owner of the property is:
David M. McConnell & wife, W. Ona McConnell
920 Granville Road
Charlotte, NC 28207
Telephone: (704) 333-8716
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property:
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most recent
deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 2759, page
302. The Tax Parcel Number of the property is: 155-053-06.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property: This report contains
a brief historical sketch of the property prepared by Dr. William H.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains a brief architectural description of the property prepared by
Thomas W. Hanchett.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria of designation set forth in N.C.G.S. 160A-399.4:
a. Special significance in terms of its history, architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the Henry M. McAden House does possess special significance in
terms of Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the
following considerations: 1) the Henry M. McAden House, built in 1917-18,
was the residence of Henry M. McAden (1872-1957), a leading bank executive
and member of a family of important textile manufacturers in this region;
2) the present owner, David M. McConnell, has held many important public
offices during his distinguished lifetime, including United States
Ambassador to the United Nations in 1968-69; 3) the Henry M. McAden House
was designed by Louis Asbury, an architect of local and regional
importance; 4) the grounds of the Henry M. McAden House were designed by
Earle Sumner Draper, a landscape architect of local and regional
importance; and 5) the Henry M. McAden House is one of the older and more
distinguished houses in Myers Park, an elegant streetcar suburb designed
for the George Stephens Company by John Nolen, a nationally-important
landscape architecture and urban planner.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling,
and/or association: The Commission contends that the architectural
description included in this report demonstrates that the property known
as the Henry M. McAden House meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for an automatic deferral of 50%
of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which becomes
"historic property." The current appraised value of the improvement is
$249,240. The current appraised value of the 1.217 acres of land is $60,000.
The total appraised value of the property is $309,240. The property is zoned
Date of Preparation of this Report: January 5, 1987
Prepared by: Dr. Dan L. Morrill
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission
1225 S. Caldwell St.
Charlotte, NC, 28203
Telephone: (704) 376-9115
Dr. William H. Huffman
The McAden stands out as being different from many of the other large
Myers Park. Located at 920 Granville Road, it was built by textile man
and banker Henry M. McAden in 1917-1918, and was designed by Charlotte
architect Louis Asbury. The modified Roman and English country house with
Doric columns still retains a great deal of its original style,
character, and detail.
Henry M. McAden (1872-1957) was born in Charlotte, and was one of the
five survivng children of Rufus Yancy and Mary Terry McAden. His father, who
had served in the state legislature from 1862-1867, and was Speaaker of the
House in 1866, came to Charlotte in 1867 to become president of the two-year
old First National Bank. In 1881, the elder McAden bult the McAden mills and
McAdenville in Gaston County, and became involved in building the Atlantic &
Charlotte Airline Railway, which was later absorbed into the Southern
system.1 Henry McAden was educated at the old Barrier School in
Charlotte and Hampden Sydney College in Virginia. After graduation he became
president of the Piedmont Fire Insurance Company and an official of McAden
Mills. In 1907, Henry McAden became president of the First National Bank, a
position he held from 1907 until the bank closed in 1930, and also succeeded
as head of the McAden Mills.2
On April 2, 1902, the successful young man married Alice Broadnax Jones,
the daughter of Col. and Mrs. Hamilton C. Jones of Charlotte.3
The newly married couple originally took up residence on Park Avenue in
Dilworth, but shortly thereafter moved to 915 S. Tryon Street. From
Tryon, the McAdens moved to 3 Elizabeth Avenue, then to the new Myers Park
streetcar suburb about 1914, on a street originally known as Road F, later
#6 Granville Road.4
Jones McAden, ca.1934 reprint of
portrait in the Society section of the Charlotte Observer
The Myers Park subdivision is an outgrowth of a period of sustained
prosperity for Charlotte that began in the 1800s and ran to the end of the
1920s, and the vision and enterprise of John Springs Myers and his
son-in-law, George Stephens. Myers, who had inherited 306 acres south of
town from his father, Col. W. R. Myers, in 1869, added to it over the
following twenty years until he acquired about eleven hundred acres. He
built a country house on the Providence Road about two miles south of town,
and the idea began to form that someday his plantation might become a
residential area in a park-like setting. George Stephens, a star athlete at
UNC, came to Charlotte after graduation in 1896, and shortly thereafter
became a successful insurance man, realtor, banker, and developer. In 1911,
he formed the Stephens Company for the purposes of developing a new
streetcar suburb, Myers Park, and acquired the necessary land from his
father-in-law and adjacent landowners, particularly the McD. Watkins farm.
To service the subrub, a new streetcar line was bult that went out form
Elizabeth Avenue along the entry gates at Queens Road to Providence Road,
where it turned to continue on just past Queens College, which Stephens had
secured for Myers Park by outbidding his rival developers with offers of
free land, streetcar service, and purchase of their old property.5
To design the layout of Myers Park, Stephens hired John Nolen, a
Harvard-educated landscape architect and pioneer in town planning who had
Independence Park for the City of Charlotte in 1907. Nolen laid out a
suburb with gently curving streets, limited access, and a wide variety of
careful plantings, which gave it a unique and much copied character that was
most unusual for the time. To oversee the landscape development, Nolen sent
associates from his office, the most important of whom was Earle Sumner
Draper. Draper came to Charlotte in 1915 to carry out and modify Nolen's
plan, and also to provide a landscape design for individual buyers. Two
years later, he started his own business and eventually became one of the
country's best-known town planners. He built his own
Tudor revival house in Myers Park at 1621 Queens Road in 1923.6
Although Nolen designed the subdivision to include houses of different
economic levels, many wealthy Charlotte families built large houses along
the main boulevards and major streets; Henry and Alice McAden were among
them. In 1916, they decided to build a large house next to the one they were
living in on Granville. To design their grand new home, the McAdens
commissioned Charlotte's first professionally trained architect, Louis
Asbury, on June 8, 1916.7 The son of S. J. and Martha Moody of
Charlotte, he attended Trinity College (now Duke University) and graduated
in architecture from MIT. After practice with some firms in New York City,
Asbury returned to Charlotte in 1908 and launched a career which spanned
nearly fifty years and included over one thosuand commisssions in the area.
Among the many outstanding designes may be included the Old County
Courthouse, the C. P. Moody and
John Jamison houses
on Providence Road, Myers Park Methodist Church, the
Law Building, the
Hawthorne Lane Methodist Church.8
During the first week in June, 1917, work began on the McAden's new
house, and it was probably late 1917 or early 1918 when it was ready for
occupancy,9 but it took until 1920 before every last detail was
completed, which included landscaping according to a design by E. S. Draper.10
The total cost of destruction is reported to have been over $150,000. The
McAdens were very active in civic and social affairs, and the home became
one of the city's centers of hospitality.
Unfortunately for the McAdens, the Great Depression brought devastation
in its wake. On December 4, 1930, the First National Bank was in default,
and had to close permanently.12 In 1935, the McAdens Mills also
shut down because of a jurisdictional dispute between rival unions, and they
did not open again until they were sold to the Stowe Mills of Belmont in
1939.13 In 1940, unpaid back taxes forced the sale of the Myers
Park house, which was bought at auction by William Henry Belk of the Belk
Brothers Department Store for $11,230.00. Belk conveyed the property back to
Mrs. McAden, who in turn immediately reconveyed it to George M. Ivey, owner
of Ivey's Department Store, doubtless according to a prearranged agreement.14
Following the demise of his bank, Mr. McAden semi-retired, but he and Mrs.
McAden continued to live in their Granville home until about 1942, when they
moved to Cherokee Street in
From 1948 to 1958, the McAden house was owned and occupied by Bessie
Leslie, whose brother, also a resident of the house, donated the sedan chair
of Queen Charlotte to the Mint Museum. Following her death, Carolyn
Kirkpatrick Smith purchased the property, and in 1965, it was sold to the
present owners, David M. and Ona A. McConnell.15 Mr. McConnell,
an attorney, has a distinguished record of government, military, political
and civic service. Prior to World War II, he served in various government
legal positions, and during the war rose to the rank of colonel. He
received, among other decorations, the Legion of Merit with oak leaf
cluster, and attained the rank of Brigadier General in the North Carolina
Militia. In 1968-9, he was a U. S. Ambassador to the United Nations and
special adviser to the United Nations Economic and Social Council. Mr.
McConnell has alos chaired the NC Board of Elections, the executive
committee of the Mecklenburg County Demographic Party, been a member of the
national platform committee of the Democratic Party, and served as an
elector of the U. S. Electoral College. In Charlotte, he has also served on
many civic and institutional boards.16
The McAden House is one of the unique features of Myers Park, which in
itself has national historic importance, and its distinction as a Louis
Asbury design with Earle Draper landscaping as well as its association with
some of the city's leading citizens make it fully worthy of historic
1 Robert A. Ragan, The Pioneer Cotton Mills of Gaston
County, NC and Gaston County Textile Pioneers (Charlotte: n.p., n.d.);
Samuel A. Ashe, Biographical History of North Carolina V, 198-202.
2 Charlotte Observer June 23, 1957, p. 2D; LeGette
Blythe and Charles Brockman, Hornet's Nest (Charlotte: Charlotte
Mecklenburg Public Library, 1961), p. 304.
3 Charlotte Observer June 23, 1957, p. 2D.
4 Charlotte City Directories 1902-1918.
5 Mary Norton Kratt and Thomas W. Hanchett, Legacy: The
Myers Park Story (Charlotte: Myers Park Foundation, 1986), pp. 16ff;
William H. Huffman, "A Historical Sketch of Queens College," Charlotte
Mecklenubrg Historic Properties Commission , 1984.
6 Legacy, cited above; William H. Huffman, "A Historical
Sketch of the Draper House," Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Properties
7 Architectural Job List, #229, Southern Historical
Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
8 Information on file at Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic
9 Charlotte Observer, June 10, 1917, p.14.
10 Interview with Ona McConnell, Charlotte, NC, November 21,
1986 with Louis Asbury on visit with McConnells, October 1966.
11 Conversation with Louis Asbury, Jr. and Thomas R. Neukom.
12 Charlotte Observer December 5, 1930, p. 1.
13 Ragan, cited above.
14 Mecklenburg County Deed Books 1026, p. 545; 1029, pp. 167,
15 Mecklenburg County Deed Books 1341, p. 431; 2212, p. 13;
2759, p. 302.
16 Who's Who in America, 1985 edition.
Thomas W. Hanchett
The H. M. McAden House is one of the finest architectural speicmens in
Myers Park, Charlotte's premier streetcar suburb. Designed by MIT-trained
Charlotte architect Louis Asbury and built about 1917 by contractor J. A.
Gardner, the two-story dwelling commands a tre-shaded site located on
curving Granville Road near the center of the neighborhood. Scorning the
earlier excesses of Victorian architecture, Asbury gave the house a clean
rectilinearity influenced by English and Italian country-house design. Its
smooth stucco exterior is embellished only with understated Roman Doric
columned porches. The spacious interior features handsome mantels, a
panelled library and a grand horseshoe stair. Louis Asbury used an open,
flowing plan and abudnat windows to connect the interior with the grassy
front lawn and rear Italian garden created by noted planner Earle Sumner
Draper. The landscape design was a major one in Draper's career, and was
featured in the magazine Southern Architect in 1924. The residence
and grounds have seen no major changes in their seventy-year existence.
In massing, the McAden House is a rectangular block with its long side
facing the street and with a smaller rectangular service wing projecting
from the rear. The
hip roofs are covered in green tile. Under the wide overhanging eaves
the rafter ends are left exposed and cut in subtlely scalloped shapes for
ornamental effect. Heavy square downspouts of copper or brass catch
rainwater from the gutters and direct it towards the ground.
The front elevation is symmetrical, framed by massive stucco interior end
chimneys. The second story has five window openings with double-hung
sash and slender decorative shutters. At the center of the first story
is a shallow one-story portico that shelters the entrance. The portico
features two pairs of Roman
Doric columns supportico a heavy cornice, all executed in masonry. The
entry itself consists of "French" double doors, each with twelve square
panes of glass, flanked by full-length
sidelights and topped by a
fan-light transom. On either side of the portico is a trio of French
doors, highlighted by a label molding above the lintel. These doors, which
open onto the front terrace, were designed to allow parties held inside in
the dining room and living room to spill outdoors. The red-brick terrace
extends the full width of the front facade.
An important part of Asbury's design, as seen from the street, are the
matching side porches. These heavy one-story
flat-roofed structures echo the front portico with stuccoed
Doric columns and chunky cornices. Between the columns, all is glass,
divided into small-paned windows and doors and fan-light transoms just like
the main entrance.
The side and rear elevations of the house incorporate the same elements
as the front, but with less concern for symmetry.
Windows are double-hung units with single-pane lower sash and either
four or six panes in the upper sash. There are no decorative shutters, but
the elaborate downspouts seen at the front are used here as well. French
doors open from the library and from the south side porch onto a back
terrace much like the front one. The projecting rear service wing is two
stories tall and has a one-story extension (part of the original design) at
Inside the McAden house, architect Asbury was somewhat less restrained in
his use of historical embellishment. The floorplan itself is simple and
elegant. Much of the first floor is devoted to areas for entertaining. A
grand hall forms the core of the plan. To the left of it, through a wide
archway (with sliding pocket doors, believed to be mahogany) in the large
living room. To the right, through a similar opening, is the equally large
dining room. Somewhat hidden, to the rear of the living room, is the
library. To the rear of the dining room are the pantries and kitchen. The
focal point of the house is the grand stair which ascends dramatically from
the rear of the hall. It rises three steps to a landing, then splits in two,
forming a horseshoe rising to the second floor landing. Bedrooms, all
interconnected, radiate from the landing.
The living room features panelled
wainscoting and elaborate cornices with egg-and-dart molding. The
original electric "candle" sconces still grace the walls. The south end of
the room is dominated by an Adam style mantel executed in cream and sienna
marble and carved with a relief of seven children at play. French doors
which flank this fireplace lead to the south side porch, called the
solarium. The solarium ceiling has two light fixtures of milk-glass and
brass. One wall of the solarium is a huge fireplace with a heavy
Neoclassical mantel said to be of carved granite (now painted white).
The dining room also has an egg-and-dart cornice and panelled
wainscoting, but it also features molding applied to the upper walls in
rectangular shapes. Sconces here are said to be brushed steel. The present
crystal chandelier replaces a smaller original fixture. There is a second
creme and sienna marble Adam style mantel, of somewhat different design.
French doors flank this fireplace and open onto the north side porch, the
breakfast porch. It is nearly identical to the solarium in its granite
mantel and abundant windows. Only the hanging light fixtures are different,
variations on the milk-glass and brass theme.
The library is panelled floor to ceiling in a dark wood believed to be
mahogany. Built-in bookcases, perhaps five feet high with leaded glass
doors, line three walls. At the north side of the library a door leads to a
small hall, which holds closets, a telephone room (relic of the early years
when only the wealthy had phones, and even they had only one in the house),
and a bathroom. The bathroom is finished in the same manner that all the
dwellings bathrooms are.
Tile wainscoting extends some seven feet up the walls to a line of
molding. Similar molding frames and oval mirror over the pedestal sink. The
toilet here (and those in most other bathrooms throughout the house) is of
comparatively recent vintage.
The service areas behind the dining room begin with an extremely large
butler's pantry. Low cupboards topped by counters (updated with formica)
line the walls. Above the counters are glass-fronted china cabinets. Near
the center of the floor is a radiator-like cast-iron warming table, a common
feature in expensive houses of that day. A hallway runs from the rear of the
butlers pantry -- past a food-storage pantry and a walk-in refrigerator room
-- to the kitchen. This space has been almost completely renovated over the
years, and a wall has been knocked out to turn an enclosed north porch into
a breakfast nook. But the kitchen still has the original servants' call-box
on one wall. On command from elsewhere in the house, numbers flipped down
behind the glass to let servants known where they were requested. Behind the
kitchen is an enclosed rear entrance and a large laundry room. One can
return to the grand hall by means of a back hall leading from the kitchen.
This space includes the servants' stair to the second floor, and also a
high-ceilinged drapery closet which still has its hooks for hanging unneeded
The grand hall has a dentilled cornice, sconces, and panelled
wainscoting. Umbrella closets flank the front door. The wells were at one
time lined from wainscot to ceiling with wallpaper painted in European
landscape scenes. Today only two sections of this survive, now set off with
frames of molding. The horseshoe stair at the rear of the hall appears to
follow Adam style precedents. Slender turned balusters support the with
balustrades. A tall rear window lights the stairwell, and walls are
completely panelled in wood.
Upstairs, opening directly onto the landing, is a small front sitting
room. Around the landing are the doors to the bedrooms. Three bathrooms link
the bedrooms, and there are also a pair of rear "sleeping porches." These
many-windowed rooms were a favorite of health-minded Americans in the 1910s.
At the north rear corner of the second floor, at the top of the servants'
stair, is a small corridor with doors to a walk-in linen closet and a
separate ironing room which once had its own Paul Bunyanesque built-in
The master bedroom is at the south front corner of the second floor. It
has a delicate carved wooden mantel, a clothes closet with built-in drawers
and a light (apparently original) that goes on when the door opens, and on
the wall next to the bed the original push-button electric light switch plus
an elaborate system of call buttons for servants. The adjoining bathroom has
the tile and fixtures already described downstairs, plus a tub and shower
designed for all-body spray. An interesting feature is the provision of two
sinks and two oval mirrors for the convenience of the lord and lady of the
house. The other bathrooms and bedrooms are similar (including lighted
closets with built-ins) but smaller. In the north front bedroom is a notable
milk-glass and brass ceiling fixture taken from a downstairs room and said
to hwe been designed by Tiffany Studios.
The house has a large attic with plastered walls and abundant natural
light. The plaster has deteriorated in recent years and has fallen away from
the wooden lath. One section of the attic is a walk-in cedar closet, still
sweet with the aroma of the wood. There is also a basement under the house.
Under the main house it is excavated to nearly full height, and is filled
with brick structural piers with florins of the living red clay. Under the
service wing the basement is more fully excavated and fully finished with
brick walls and concrete floors. Segmental arched doorways here lead to a
workroom and to the furnace room, where there is a new furnace. Asbury
designed the house with a built-in "central vacume" system, a popular
house-cleaning tool among the well-to-do of that time. Piping throughout the
house leads to a unit which still stands in one corner of the furnace room.
Also extant under the service wing is the mechanism for the mechanical
sprinkler system, a fire-prevention feature that presumably is still hidden
throughout the residence.
Earle Sumner Draper's grounds for the McAden house featured a tree-shaded
front lawn with a brick drive running straight up one side to a circle in
front of the detached rear garage. The brickwork here and throughout the
grounds is (remarkably) in as good condition as the day it was laid, thanks
to a concrete subbase. The garage, presumably by Louis Asbury, has stuccoed
walls and a tile hip roof just like the main house. The original garage
doors have given way to an overhead door. On either side of the automobile
space is a servants' apartment. Some interior changes have been made in the
north apartment but the south apartment remains in original condition with
two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a sitting room.
It was at the beck of the house that the most elaborate landscape work
may be seen. Draper, one of the South's prolific and influential landscape
designers in the early twentieth century, crested Italian gardens. Writes
historian Mary Kratt in the 1986 book Legacy: The Myers Park Story:
"'Henry McAden was a particular friend of mine,' remembers Earle
Draper.... 'I spent a lot of time laying out his estate gardens. His wife
was the most enthusiastic gardener and we planted some very interesting
and rare plants. She spent most of her time in the garden with flowers'"
While Draper was working on the McAden garden, he and Mrs. Draper went
abroad for several months to study European gardens. 'It was one of the
more elaborate gardens I planned for a limited space,' remembers Draper.
'We used every square foot of it.' The [Southern Architect] article
that featured McAden's garden described ... 'an out-of-door living room
with all its beauty, fragrance and color ... shut off from the hurry and
worry of the outside world [where] one can enjoy complete rest and receive
inspiration from the ever-changing works of nature.'"
The design featured strict geometry defined by brick walkways. Draper
divided the garden into two spaces. A patio-like area, which nestled within
the "L " formed by the rear wall is of the house, featured square walks and
flowerbeds and had a large curved seat of carved marble at one edge.
Adjacent was the second space, which featured a round walkway and a central
fountain. Draper remembers that there were even native cedar trees trimmed
to represent Italian cypress.
Today most of Mr. Draper and Mrs. McAden's plants are gone, but the beds
still hold their shape, the brick walkways survive in mint condition, and
the marble seat remains a focal point.