The Mallonee-Jones House
This report was written on January 2, 1980
CLICK HERE TO SEE A VIDEO ON THIS PROPERTY
1. Name and location of the Property: The property known as the
Mallonee-Jones House is located at 400 E. Kingston Ave. in Charlotte, N.C.
2. Name, address and telephone number of the present owner and
occupant of the property: The present owner and occupant of the property
Mercer J. Blankenship, Jr.
400 E. Kingston Ave.
Charlotte, N.C. 28203
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property: This report
contains a map which depicts the location of the property.
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most recent
deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 3714 at
Page 600, The Tax Parcel Number of the property is 123-083-01.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property:
On September 8, 1894, The Charlotte Observer announced that J. N..
Mallonee, a local building contractor, would construct his home on Kingston
Ave. in Dilworth.1 Dilworth, Charlotte's initial
streetcar suburb, had opened on May 20, 1891.2 Named for
Edward Dilworth Latta (1851-1925), President of the Charlotte Consolidated
Construction Company or Four C's, Dilworth revolutionized the built
environment of Charlotte. It now became possible for affluent and middle
class Charlotteans to reside in the suburbs, where they could simulate the
ambiance of a rural existence, replete with large lots, verandahs and
manicured lawns.3 Mallonee moved into his Dilworth home on
February 21, 1895.4 The architect was
Charles Christian Hook (1870-1938).5 A native of Wheeling, W.
Va., and graduate of Washington University in St. Louis, Mo., Hook was the
first licensed architect to live continuously in Charlotte. He moved here in
1891 to teach mechanical drawing in the Charlotte Graded School, which stood
at the corner of South Blvd. and E. Morehead St. By 1892, he was designing
structures for the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company. Indeed, most
of his early commissions were for homes in Dilworth.6 Although
Hook specialized in Neo Colonial motifs, he did design Victorian homes.
Dilworth retains two of Hook's Queen Anne style residences, the Mallonee-Jones
House (1895) at 400 S. Kingston Ave. and the Robert J. Walker House (1901)
at 329 E. Park Ave.7
Photograph of house taken in
Julius Morris Mallonee (1867-1907) was a native of Charleston, S.C.,
where his father, J. C. Mallonee, owned a large lumber business. A graduate
of Eastman Business College in Poughkeepsie,, N.Y., Mallonee married Emma
McRae of Marlborough County, SC, on December 6, 1893. Soon thereafter,
Mallonee moved to Charlotte for purposes of establishing himself as a
building contractor.8 It is reasonable to infer that he vas
attracted here by the vigorous economic climate which had been created by
the construction of a city-wide trolley system in 1891 by the Charlotte
Consolidated Construction Company.9 On December 15, 1897,
Mallonee sold his home in Dilworth and moved to E. Fourth St. in Charlotte.10
His house stood on the present site of the old Mecklenburg County
Courthouse. According to the Charlotte Observer, Mallonee became the
"pioneer builder of Charlotte, buying lots, and building homes and selling
them outright."11 He built many of the older homes in Elizabeth,
another early streetcar suburb of Charlotte. He constructed the first
apartment complex in Charlotte, the Mallonee flats across from his home on
E. Fourth St. He was a charter member of the Southern Manufacturers Club, a
prestigious organization of local businessmen.12 Also, Mallonee
was the building contractor for the Dilworth Graded School, which opened on
January 3, 1905.13 J. N. Mallonee died on August 25, 1907.
"Always kind hearted and open handed, he made many friends," the
Charlotte Observer reported.15 A member of
First Baptist Church, he had seven children, two of whom predeceased
their father.16 Emma McRae Mallonee, his widow, expired on
January 27, 1943. Both are buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Charlotte.17
Charles Wellington Jones &
Cora Shepherd Jones
On August 12, 1899, Charles Wellington Jones (1865-1924) and his wife, Cora
Shepherd Jones (1873-1974). purchased the house which J. N. Mallonee had
erected four years earlier in Dilworth.18 They occupied the house
as newlyweds. A native of Harrisonburg, Va, Charles W. Jones had moved to
Charlotte in 1895 as a bachelor. He established a grocery store under the
name of "Moore & Jones." Subsequently, he became an official of the
Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, the developers of Dilworth.
During his later years,, he established the Industrial Bank of Mecklenburg.
Jones died at home on October 19, 1924.19 Cora Shepherd Jones,
his widow, lived in the home at 400 E. Kingston Ave. until her death, at the
age of one hundred, on April 30, 1974.20 She was a teacher of
history for thirty-three years, first at the D. H. Hill School and later at
the old Alexander Graham Jr. High School on E. Morehead St. Affectionately
remembered by her students as "Miss Cora," she was a graduate of Stuart Hall
in Staunton, Va. She and her husband were members of Pritchard Memorial
Baptist Church where she served as organist for many years.21
They had three children, Charles Wellington Jones, Jr., who was killed as a
teenager in a train accident, Margaret Jones Ormand, and James Nelson Jones.22
Mercer J. Blankenship, Jr, an attorney, purchased the house on October 9.
1974.23 He continues to reside there.
1 Charlotte Observer (September 8, 1894), p. 4.
2 Charlotte News (May 20, 1891), p. 1. Daily State
Chronicle (May 19, 1891), p. 1. Morning Star (May 24, 1891), p.
3 Charlotte Observer (July 15, 1925), p. 8.
4 Charlotte Observer (February 22, 1895), p. 4.
5 Charlotte Observer (September 8, 1894), p. 4.
6 Charlotte News (September 17, 1938), p. 12.
Charlotte Observer (April 3. 1892), p. 4. George Welch, a resident of
Charlotte, did design several structures in the community in the 1870's,
including Second Presbyterian Church, the opera house and the jail. None of
these structures are extant. Apparently, Welch was not a professional
architect (Charlotte News (April 15, 1901, p. 1.)).
7 Charlotte Observer (September 19, 1894), p. 4.
Charlotte Observer (June 9, 1901), p. 5.
8 Charlotte News (August 26, 1907), p. 1. Charlotte
Observer (August 26, 1907), p. 7. Charlotte Observer (August 18,
1935), sec.,3, p. 7 (contains a photograph of J. N.. Mallonee), Gravestone
of J. N. Mallonee in named cemetery.
9 The Edison Electric Co. installed the trolley system for the
Four C's. The cost was $40,000. The first trolley departed from Independence
Square on May 18, 1891. The system opened on May 20, 1891.
10 Mallonee sold his home to Mrs. F. P. Smith of Gaston
County, North Carolina (Mecklenburg County Deed Book 1239 p. 579). Mrs.
Smith and her husband, John A. Smith, sold the house on October 1, 1898, to
Rosa McDonald of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (Mecklenburg County Deed
Book 1279 p. 424).
11 Charlotte Observer (August 19, 1935), sec., 3., p.
13 Charlotte Observer (July 17, 1894), p. 6.
14 Gravestone of J. N. Mallonee in Elmwood Cemetery.
15 Charlotte Observer (August 26, 1907), p. 7.
16 Charlotte Observer (August 18, 1935), sec. 3., p. 7.
Gravestone of J. A. Mallonee in Elmwood Cemetery. Gravestone of J. F.
Mallonee in Elmwood Cemetery.
17 Mecklenburg County Death Book 62, p. 93.
18 They purchased the home from Rosa McDonald, wife of Edward
McDonald of Mecklenburg, County, North Carolina. The price was $2200
(Mecklenburg County Deed Book 139, p. 503). Gravestones of C. W. Jones and
C, S. Jones in Elmwood Cemetery.
19 Charlotte Observer(October 10, 1924), p. 10.
20 Charlotte News (May 1, 1974), p. 8. Charlotte
Observer (May 2, 1974), p. 11F.
21 Charlotte News (May 1, 1974), p. 8.
22 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 3714, p. 600. Interview of Ann
Jones Mudge by Dr. Dan L. Morrill (September 19, 2007).
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains an architectural description of th e property prepared by Carolina
Mesrobian, architectural historian.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria set forth in N. C. G. S. 160A-399.4:
a. Special significance in terms of its history. architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the Mallonee-Jones House does possess special significance in
terms of Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the
following considerations: 1) it is one of the earliest houses in Dilworth,
Charlotte's initial streetcar suburb, 2) it is one of the two Queen Anne
style houses in Charlotte definitively attributable to Charles Christian
Hook, Charlotte's first resident architect and an architect of regional
importance, and 3) its owners have occupied positions of leadership and
influence in the local community.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling
and/or association: The Commission judges that the architectural
description included herein demonstrates that the property known as the
Mallonee-Jones House meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply annually for an automatic
deferral of 50% of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the
property which becomes "historic property." The Ad Valorem Tax appraisal on
the .161 acres of land is $2500. The Ad Valorem Tax appraisal on the
improvements is $11,700. The most recent annual tax bill on the land and
improvements was $296.53.
The Charlotte News.
The Charlotte Observer.
The Daily State Chronicle (Raleigh, N.C.).
Gravestones in Elmwood Cemetery, Charlotte, N.C.
The Morning Star (Wilmington, N.C.).
Records of the Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Tax Office.
Vital Statistics of Mecklenburg County.
Date of Preparation of this Report: January 2, 1980.
Prepared by: Dr. Dan L. Morrill
An Architectural Description
by: Caroline Mesrobian
August 1, 1979
The Mallonee-Jones House, located at 400 East Kingston Avenue in the
Dilworth section of Charlotte, North Carolina, is a two and a half story
frame house in the
Queen Anne style. It was designed by Charles C. Hook, built by J. N.
Mallonee, a lumberman, in 1894, and was occupied in early 1895. The house
stands on a narrow city lot with a small front yard. Behind the house is a
German-sided garage which appears to be original to the property and which
is in a very dilapidated state. A comparison of Sanborn Insurance Maps shows
that a northeast section was added to the garage between 1911 and 1929, but
it is no longer extant.
The house rests on a brick foundation, is of German siding, and has a
hip roof with composition shingles and two interior brick chimneys. The
massing is very picturesque, it being characterized by a front two story bay
window, a wrap around front porch, breaks in the northwest facade, multiple
roof lines, and irregular placement of windows.
The front facade (Kingston Avenue) contains a two story bay window with
an overhanging cross gable containing a smaller pedimented
cross gable in the apex of the larger gable. The cross gables have
wooden sunburst designs, the lower portion of the gable containing a
louvered vent framed on either side by applied wooden blocks simulating
dentils. A blank panel flanked by sawnwork brackets is situated between the
gable and a Victorian
window, this fenestration being typical to the house. These windows have
wide plain surrounds, and all had louvered shutters at one time.
A one story front porch with turned posts and a balustrade angles around
the bay. The east side of the porch is enclosed as a sunroom and contains
casement windows, two of which are floor length. Examination of the 1911
and 1929 Sanborn Insurance Maps shows that this section of the porch was
enclosed as a sunroom between the two dates. The diagonal entrance bay of
the porch, which faces due north, bears a cross gable with the sunburst
design. The front glazed and paneled door with single pane
transom is decorated with reeded pilasters and corner blocks with
incised flower designs. The screen door bears decorative sawnwork brackets.
A small balcony with turned posts and balustrade is situated over the
The northwest side (Euclid Avenue) contains three bays; two of these
sections project out in a step-like manner. A narrow bay which abuts onto
the front corner contains a narrow second story window with 1/1 sash. It is
also characterized by a small cross-gable with sunburst design, a boxed
molded eave that surrounds the house, and applied wood blocks which simulate
a dentil cornice. Both the Euclid and Kingston oriented sides of the middle
projecting bay contain a Queen Anne stair window with colored glass borders
and plain surrounds on the first story. The final projecting section is
pierced by a pair of 1/1 sash windows on each story. Three paneled sections
flanked by sawnwork brackets are situated above the second story windows.
This projection also has a cross gable with a smaller pedimented cross gable
in its apex, the sunburst pattern, and a centrally located louvered vent
flanked by applied dentil squares.
The rear (southwest side) of the house contains a bay pierced by a narrow
first story side window with 1/1 sash. A one story lattice work porch with
lattice work door extends along the flank of the two bayed kitchen wing
projection. This projecting section also contains a small casement window in
the first story of the northwest side. The screened sleeping porch above the
lattice porch is an addition, as shown by a comparison of the 1911 and 1929
Sanborn Insurance Maps. The second bay of the kitchen wing contains a window
with 2/2 sash on each story.
The southeast facade of the house is characterized by three bays. The
southern most bay contains a first story 2/2 sash window and a second story
1/1 sash window. A narrow 1/1 sash window pierces both stories of the middle
bay, while the northern most bay contains a pair of 1/1 sash windows on both
stories. All windows have plain surrounds. The applied dentil cornice is
present on this facade.
The plan of the house is unsymmetrically arranged and has a number of
small scale decorative details. One of the most interesting features of the
interior is the corner Eastlake style pine
staircase in the entrance hall. The massive
newel post is decorated with fluting in the center of the sides and has
chamfered corners with lamb's tongue. The top has convex roundels, molded
cornice, and a turned finial. The staircase is also defined by slender,
balusters, a molded
handrail, and a plain, closed string. Two colored glass Queen Anne style
windows light the stair landing.
The entrance hall leads into a parlor located in the front of the house.
A corner of the parlor is cut away, a feature which combines the parlor with
the hall and which creates a large, flowing space. The corner is supported
on an Eastlake style massive turned post with side grooves into which large
sliding doors fit. The parlor contains a late Victorian style mantel.
Bracketed pilasters support a beaded shelf; the plain frieze has a fluted
shell or fan motif in the center. The mirrored overmantel bears a shelf on
each side as well as across the top and is decorated with beading and convex
roundels. A tile hearth and surround and a cast iron coal grate also
comprise the fireplace. Although the mantel is ornamented similarly to the
rest of the woodwork, it is less robust in form. It was most likely mail
order with the rest of the woodwork being custom made.
The dining room, located behind the parlor on the southeast side of the
house, contains a mantel which is more similar to the woodwork. It has a
plain surround, a dentil and molded cornice and beaded shelf. The mirrored
overmantel bears shelves and slender columnettes on each side and a delicate
balustrade across the top.
The library, on the northwest side of the house, contains a mantel with
mirrored overmantel which is somewhat like the one in the parlor but is not
as ornate. The three globed ceiling gas light fixture may be original. The
bottom half of the walls in this room, as well as in others excepting the
parlor are paneled in heart of pine; the top half is plastered as are the
ceilings. Woodwork is characterized by a vertical beaded
wainscot, a wide beaded chair rail, and a high beaded baseboard. Window
and door surrounds are symmetrically molded and have roundel cornerblocks.
Doors have five raised panels with chamfered stiles. Hardware consists of
ornate brass stamped doorknobs and escutcheon plates with a brass finish.
The double windows in the dining room and library have raised paneled aprons
beneath them. All floors are of hardwood.
A hall runs between the dining room and library, its entranceway transom
having a wooden latticework arched screen with roundel corner blocks. The
rear section of the house contains a bathroom, said to have been originally
the butler's pantry, on the southeast side, and a small center hall with an
enclosed servant's stairway. A tiny stair beneath the rear stair was
evidently put in when the basement was dug out for a furnace to replace coal
burning at a later date.
The completely unmodernized kitchen is located at the extreme rear of the
house. Its walls and ceiling have narrow beaded sheathing; this was the only
woodwork in the house that was painted. Cabinetry may be original. A free
standing gas stove and the main buzzer box with which to summon servants
from other parts of the house are still in the kitchen. A well was located
in the back porch, part of the porch having been converted into a second
bathroom at a later date.
The second floor contains four bedrooms with a central hall, a bath on
the southeast side which has its original wash basin and a tub on legs, and
plenty of closets and storage space. It also consists of the enclosed
sleeping porch on the southwest rear side which was added between 1911 and
1929; two doors leading from the porch to the hall and the southeast rear
bedroom have been added.
The master bedroom is located in the bayed projection in the front of the
house and has a dressing room area and spacious walk-in closet on the
northwest side. This room also opens onto the small balcony which sits over
the entrance to the house. Fireplaces and mantels in the master bedroom
(corner) as well as in the bedrooms on the northwest and southeast sides are
similar and bear decorative incising, brackets and beading.