1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the
Henderson - King House is located at 4723 Stafford Circle in the Sharon
Township of Charlotte in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
2. Name, address, and telephone number of the present owner of the
property: The owner is :
4723 Stafford Circle
Telephone Number: (704) 364-7673
3. Representative Photographs of the property: This report
contains interior and exterior photographs of the property.
4. Maps depicting the location of the property: This report
contains a map depicting the location of the property.
5. Current deed book references to the property: The most recent
deed to the Henderson - King House is listed Mecklenburg County Deed Book
5803 at Pages 0617. The Tax Parcel Number of the property is 163-082-09.
6. A brief historical description of the property: This report
contains a historical sketch of the property prepared by Sherry J. Joines.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains an architectural description of the property prepared by Sherry J.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets criteria
for designation set forth in N.C.G.S. 160A-400.5:
a. Special significance in terms of history, architecture, and
cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property known as
the Henderson - King House does possess special significance in terms of
Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The Commission bases its judgment on the
following considerations: 1) the property is a well preserved example of
vernacular Queen Anne architecture; 2) the property is an important rural
resource that has been engulfed by suburban development; and 3) the
property has associations with significant Mecklenburg families.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling,
and association: The Commission contends that the architectural
description by Sherry J. Joines included in this report demonstrates that
the Henderson - King House meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The current Ad Valorem appraised
value of the .692 acres of land is $26,000. The current Ad Valorem appraised
value of the house is $88,570. The total Ad Valorem appraised value is
$166,220. The property is zoned R-3.
Date of Preparation of this Report: September 9, 1997
Currently located in the Sherwood Forest subdivision, the Henderson -
King House was moved to its current site in 1972/1973 to avoid demolition.
The original site of the house is a short distance directly north. The house
was situated on a rise, in a grove of large trees, that may still be seen at
its former site on Sharon Amity Road. It is fortunate that the present site
of the house is on part of the original farm associated with the house. In
fact, the house is located near a small creek that runs beside the former
site as well. The main difference in the siting of the house is its
orientation. When it was moved the house was rotated 180 degrees to face
Stafford Circle to the south. Originally, the house faced Sharon Amity Road
to the north. Although the present site lacks the elevation of the original,
it is fairly large, with trees on all edges, partially enclosing the house
from the modern development surrounding it.
Believed to have been constructed around 1902 / 1903, the Henderson-King
House is an interesting folk interpretation of the popular
Queen Anne style. Such interpretations are often dependent upon
ornamentation applied to a traditional building form and are referred to as
Folk Victorian. In this house the resemblance to a Queen Anne dwelling is
found not only in ornament but also in the irregular building form itself.
The Queen Anne style was popular nationally during the last years of the
nineteenth century and very early twentieth century. It became common in
North Carolina by the mid-1880s. The style was directly related to the
Picturesque Movement in the arts that can first be seen with the Gothic
Revival style in the 1830s. The Queen Anne style was touted as uniquely
modern and individualistic.
It is noteworthy that the style's ornate wooden trim was made possible by
innovations in saws and mass production during the industrial revolution
occurring at this time.1 Several elements of the Henderson-King
House can be isolated as directly inspired by the Queen Anne style. These
include: the wrap around porch with small pediment over the entrance steps,
irregular massing, irregular
hipped roof with
gabled projections, sawn-work, varying window size and placement,
Classical porch columns (typical of the "Free Classic" variation of the
Queen Anne style), dark interior woodwork, and ornate mantels. The house is
basically a cube in shape with various projections near the front to create
an irregular effect. The front (or southern) facade is dominated by the deep
porch that wraps around three sides of the building.
A low-pitched gable or pediment marks the entrance steps, which are in
line with the off-center entrance door. Simple, Doric columns support the
shed roofed porch. The columns are repeated in the form of pilasters on
the house wall at each end of the porch. Between each column spans a simple
balustrade with square balusters set at forty-five degree angles to the
rails. An unadorned architrave tops the columns. The architrave is repeated
at the junction of the house walls and its roof.
A second gable graces the front facade of the house. It is created by the
end of the gable roof, which covers a projection of about one-foot on the
upper story of the front facade. The gable is actually wider than the
projection and is "supported" by scrolled sawn-work brackets. The second
floor windows found on the projection and on the main body of the house on
the front facade are paired. And, like the windows on the rest of the house,
they have simple frames and drip molding at their tops. The
windows are one over one light. The first floor front windows are large
panes of beveled glass topped by
transoms. On the western side there is an interesting gabled projection.
On the first floor, the projection is three-sided, creating a bay. Each side
has a large window with the center side having a large beveled glass window
with transom like those found on the front. Above this is a full rectangular
space with paired windows. Thus, the bottom corners of the upper floor
project beyond the three-sided bay and are "supported" by scrolled brackets.
Beyond the bay projection the house shows its more traditional rectilinear
character. The windows on the rear of the house are rather irregularly
placed, and one should note that the first floor of the eastern corner of
the rear of the house was originally a porch.
The eastern side of the house is fairly simple with one gabled projection
near the front corner. On the second floor, front side of this projection
there was once a window that was infilled to accommodate a shower. Another
window on the main body of the eastern facade was infilled near the second
floor front corner. Other changes according to the current owner include the
infilling of the back porch as already mentioned and the replacement of the
porch floor with boards matching the originals. Historic photographs
indicate that the roof was originally shingled.
The interior of the Henderson-King house is well preserved, retaining
much of its original tiger oak and pine trim. One enters the house into a
modest entrance hall. The notable features of this space are the large
beveled glass window to the right, in front of the elegantly simple stairway
and finely crafted pocket doors to the parlor and sitting rooms. The trim
above each of the pocket doors and small closet door under the stair is a
simple architrave reminiscent of that on the exterior of the house.
To the west of the entrance hall is the parlor. An elegant mantle and
fireplace surround highlights it. The fireplace surround is tiled (a popular
Victorian feature) with speckled blue and brown rectangular tile.
Interestingly, the floor directly in front of the fireplace has the same
speckled tile as the surround. Simple scrolled brackets support the mantle
shelf. Over the mantle shelf is a rectangular mirror above which is an
overmantle or second shelf supported by Doric columns on pedestals. These
columns recall those of the front porch. The fireplace projects slightly
into the room. The corners of this projection are accented by three-quarter
round corner protectors with turned top and bottom finials.
Located directly behind the entrance hall is the room likely intended to
be sitting room. A door in the northeast corner of the room currently leads
to a powder room, but originally led to a butler's pantry that one could
walk through into the kitchen. On the south wall is another graceful
fireplace. The fireplace surround tile here are mottled teal. The mantle
shelf rests on quarter-circle brackets, and a mirror is above the mantle.
The wide trim of the mirror is convex with a narrow shelf at its top.
To the west of the sitting room, through a set of pocket doors, is the
dining room. The space is created by the three-sided bay with the large
central beveled glass window being the focus of the room. The fireplace here
is on the south wall and is surrounded by mottled forest green tile. Doric
columns support the mantle shelf with miniature Ionic columns resting on the
shelf to support the overmantle shelf. A small mirror is located in the
space between the two shelves. Indicating that this space was originally the
dining area is a plate rail about five inches wide positioned about
two-thirds of the way up the wall. Additional molding includes a picture
rail located at the junction of wall and ceiling. This narrow strip has a
small convex curve at its top designed to hold picture hooks. This molding
is found in most rooms of the house. Similar to the architraves in the
entrance hall, the pocket doors and central bay window also have simple
As in most historic homes, the kitchen area is the most altered space of
the house. The kitchen was extended by enclosing the rear corner porch. The
lower ceiling height in this area marks the original porch space. The
butler's pantry was divided into two rooms. The first is a powder room
accessible from the sitting room and the second a laundry which opens into
the kitchen. Located under the back stairs on the west wall is a small
pantry that retains its original beadboard sheathing. A door at the
northwestern corner of the room opens into the rear stairs. The current
owner has been told that the children of a previous owner always used these
stairs since it was prohibited for children to be present in the formal
entrance hall and parlor. Upstairs, each of the four bedrooms retains its
original door and architrave. The doors have six oblong raised panels and
glass knobs. Two of the bedrooms retain their original picture molding
matching that found down stairs. The baseboard is quite tall, measuring
about eight inches, and is capped by a simple molding. It is apparent that
the house was custom built, rather than relying on mass produced moldings
and doors since the door to the master bedroom near the front stair is
significantly taller than the three short doors at the rear end of the hall,
while the doors in the middle of the hall are of medium height. Also, few of
the windows are the exact size of any other window.
The front bedroom is a master suite with a narrow room, perhaps a
dressing room located off it. This space has been converted into a bathroom.
There are two closets: one in the bath and one next to the fireplace. The
fireplace, like the other fireplace upstairs, has a simple mantle. The
original tile is missing in most of the second floor fire surrounds. They
were likely damaged when the house was moved. And the fireplace in one
bedroom has been closed off altogether. The mantles are simple frames around
the fire surround with shelves supported by small, scrolled brackets. The
only bedroom originally built without a fireplace is located at the rear of
the hall beside the large bath which was also originally a bath. It is quite
possible that this small, unadorned room was intended to be used by a
servant. The large bath was created by the Henderson family according to
family member, Mrs. Dorcas Hinson.2 The Henderson-King house
exemplifies the finer sort of dwelling built by prominent rural Mecklenburg
County farmers during the late nineteenth and very early twentieth century.
Despite its being engulfed by modern development, the property provides an
important insight into Mecklenburg County's rural past. The architecture of
the house retains almost all of its original character. The Henderson-King
House, therefore, is an extremely rare and important resource.
Sherry J. Joines
September 9, 1997
The preceding architectural description hints at the sort of person the
house's builder must have been. Although not "high style" or architect
designed, the house was clearly intended to show the elevated status of its
original owner. In fact, Dr. Dan L. Morrill, Director of the Historic
Landmarks Commission, has commented that this house is unusual in that its
design reflects very urban tastes for a rural farmhouse. It must be
remembered that at the turn of the century the area near the dwelling's
original site on Sharon Amity Road was still a rural farm community. The
inhabitants of this portion of Sharon Amity are not listed in the City
Directory of Charlotte until 1961.3
The 174 acre property which encompassed both the original site of the
house and its current site was purchased by Samuel D. Faulkner at a court
sale (for settlement of debt) from John E. Oates and Margaret L. Barringer,
widow of Rufus Barringer, on October 9, 1895. Very little can be said of Mr.
Faulkner other than that by 1911, he was residing on Providence Road. Since
City Directories do not cover the rural areas of the county, we can assume
that Mr. Faulkner was living in rural Mecklenburg during the very first
years of the twentieth century. Furthermore, the large number of real estate
purchases (over 500 acres) recorded by S.D. Faulkner in the last years of
the nineteenth century with additional purchases after the turn of the
century indicate his substantial means. 4
Faulkner owned the Henderson - King property until November 1, 1902 when
he sold it to Elizabeth N. Myers. Mrs. Myers was the wife of Walter P.
Myers. The 1900 City Directory indicates that Mr. Myers was a traveling
salesman living at 204 South Myers Street. By 1902, however, Mr. Myers'
occupation was as a farmer. The family now made their home on East Avenue
Extension. A similar entry is found in 1903, but in 1904/1905 the family is
not listed in the directory. They reappear, however, in 1905/1906 living in
Myers Park with Mr. Myers still employed as a farmer. This could indicate
that the family lived in the rural precincts for a year or two between 1903
and 1906. This is just after Mrs. Myers's purchase of the Henderson - King
It is impossible to say with certainty whether the Myers built the house
or if it had been constructed by Faulkner. It seems that with the
information currently known, the Myers family were probably the builders. As
previously mentioned, the house was built by someone with an interest in
urban tastes. Having lived in the city prior to 1904 and returning to a
fashionable new suburb by 1906, the Myers would likely have been this sort
of family. Also attesting to the social prominence of the family, Mrs. Myers
was one of five alumni who donated a large sum to ensure the survival of the
Presbyterian College For Women, later Queens College, in the late nineteenth
century. That she was privileged enough to have attended the college and
that she had money to donate give some indication of her socio-economic
position.6 Whether they built the house or never lived in it at
all, Elizabeth (Bessie) Myers sold the property to J.L. Davis on January 2,
1911. Since the Myers were living in
Myers Park by 1906, the occupants of the house in the intervening five
years before its sale is a mystery. Perhaps it was used by tenant farmers
who might have worked the land for the Myers. Or, more likely, it may have
been a "country home" occupied occasionally by the Myers. Whatever the case,
Jacob L. Davis never lived in the house. Rather, he is listed as residing at
300 North Brevard Street with his wife Josephine in 1911 and 1912. Davis was
associated with the Davis & Byerly Company.7
The J.L. Davis family sold the property to J.R. and Alice P. McCall on
September 5, 1911. Joseph R. McCall, a bookkeeper for Y & B Company, resided
at 5 North Fox Avenue in 1911 and 1912. The McCalls sold the property to
Forest Hill Realty Company in 1915 who in turn sold the property to Ammie (Amoret)
E. Henderson on December 1, 1915.8
Ammie Henderson was the wife of Charles Philo Henderson. In the 1912 City
Directory, the Hendersons are listed as residing at 403 North Brevard
Street. Mr. Henderson was a farmer. By 1916, however, there was no listing
for the family indicating that they had likely moved out of the city to the
farm on Sharon Amity Road. Holding the property for nearly forty years, the
Henderson family is the most significant in the history of the house.
Charles Philo Henderson was born in 1854 and died in 1934. He was a member
of Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Church and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery. His
family were among the early settlers of Mecklenburg County, having arrived
here around 1749. The family farm was located on Old Statesville Road where
they also ran a tanyard. Mr. Henderson's cousin, Philo Henderson (1832 -
1852), is noted as being the only Poet Laureate from Mecklenburg County.9
Ammie Henderson died on March 27, 1938, leaving the family farm to her
four surviving children: Lillie W. Henderson, Mary E. Henderson, Grace H.
Russell, Irene H. Andrews, and to her deceased daughter Jennie's husband
Clarence O. Lowder, Sr. Neither Lillie nor Mary ever married. Lillie still
lived in the house then known as 426 North Sharon Amity Road in 1971 despite
the sale of the farmland to Construction Materials Company on June 12, 1953.
Construction Materials Company transferred the farmland to Mecklenburg
Builders, Inc. who subdivided the property into the Sherwood Forest
Lillie and her sister Mary Henderson conveyed the house and its five
acres to the Trustees of the Joppa Lodge on September 3, 1971. At her death
on August 27, 1974, Lillie Henderson lived at 3931 Forest Drive. Joppa Lodge
planned to destroy the house to build their facilities, but neighbors living
behind the property on Stafford Circle intervened.11 H. John and
Shirley J. Croasmun purchased the Sherwood Forest lot next to theirs on
January 10, 1969. They had the house moved there in 1972/1973. The address
of the house became 4727 Stafford Circle. The Croasmun's sold the house to
James Robert Collins, Jr. on April 4, 1973. The current owner reports that
Mrs. Collins was an interior designer. Her unusual tastes were still evident
when Shelby Stearns and Martha Whiddon (Inez) King purchased the house on
November 26, 1976. Mrs. King still resides in house.12
1Catherine Bishir, North Carolina Architecture, Chapel
Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1990 , pp. 342 - 354 and Gwendolyn
Wright, Building the Dream, Cambridge: MIT Press, 1981, pp. 96 - 113.
2Interview with Mrs. Dorcas Hinson, September 8, 1997,
conducted by Sherry J. Joines.
3Charlotte City Directories : 1900 - 1975, microfilm, Robinson
- Spangler Carolina Room at the Main Branch of the Charlotte - Mecklenburg
4Mecklenburg County Deed Book: 105, page 416 and 170, page
5Ibid. and Deed Book 262, page 506 and City Directories: 1900
6Ibid. and interview with Andrew King, August 26, 1997.
7Deed Book 262, page 506.
8Deed Book 276, page 410; 351, page 274; and 351, page 385 and
City Directories: 1910 - 1916.
9Information submitted with application for designation as
Local Historic Landmark.
10Deed Book 1619, page 539; 1789, page 102; and 1789, page
11Mecklenburg County Vital Statistics: Death Certificates and
Interview with Andrew King.
12Deed Book 3011, page 403; 3561, page 287; 3900, page 61; and
5803, page 617; Interview with Andrew King and City Directories: 1961 -