The Goff House
This report was written on May 25, 1995
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the
Goff House is located at 1116 Queens Road in Charlotte, North Carolina.
2. Name, address, and telephone number of the present owner of the
The owner of the property is:
Sam and Suzanne Sloan
1116 Queens Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28207
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property: This report
contains two maps depicting the location of the property.
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most recent
deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 4750 on
page 343. The tax parcel number of the property is #153-042-22.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property: This report contains
a brief historical sketch of the property prepared by Mary Beth Gatza.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains an architectural description of the property prepared by Mary Beth
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets criteria
for designation set forth in in N. C. G. S. 160A-400.5:
a. Special significance in terms of its history. architecture.
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the Goff House does possess special significance in terms of
Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the following
1) The Goff House represents a fine example of early-twentieth century
Colonial revival architecture in one of Charlotte's earliest and most
desirable suburbs. The house contains many characteristic components of
2) Jeremiah Goff could afford to build his house in a manner not
always available to the average middle class American. The well-developed
design, fine details, quality materials and accomplished workmanship all
bear testament to the high caliber of this building.
3) The Goff House was built for a prominent manufacturer and
businessman, and was his home for the last sixteen years of his life. It
makes a statement about his image and standing in the community, and
reveals the standard of living available to a well-to-do businessman in
early-twentieth century Charlotte.
4) Mr. Goff's decision to do business, and then to settle in Charlotte
is representative of a larger trend spurred by the early-twentieth century
cotton prosperity in Piedmont North Carolina. The Goff House is a tangible
reminder of this settlement/development pattern.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling
and/or association: The Commission contends that the physical
description by Mary Beth Gatza which is included in this report
demonstrates that the Goff House meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for an automatic deferral of 50%
of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which becomes
a designated "historic landmark.'' The current total appraised value of the
improvements is $ 216,110. The current total appraised value of the lot is
$250,000. The current total value is $ 466,110. The property is zoned R-3.
Date of Preparation of this Report: 25 May 1995.
Prepared by: Mary Beth Gatza
428 North Laurel Avenue, #7
Charlotte, North Carolina 28204
The early decades of the twentieth century were prosperous times in the
Queen City. Cotton was king, and Charlotte was a hub for the trading,
processing, and transporting of this valuable commodity. The geographic and
economic climate undoubtedly lured businessmen from throughout the country
into the area. One such person was Jeremiah Goff.
Jeremiah Goff (1858-1931) came to Charlotte from his native Rhode Island
in 1900 at age 42. He was born in Warren, Rhode Island in 1858, the son Of
Gesemiah (?) and Sarah Ingraham Goff (both native to Rhode Island). 1
During the first decade of the century, Goff, then a bachelor, lived in
various uptown hotels, including the Buford Hotel, Central Hotel and the
Hotel Selwyn. During this time, he functioned as Vice-President of the
Charlotte Supply Company, a company that sold general mill supplies. In
1909, Goff went off on his own and established the Piedmont Sundries
Company, of which he was President for the remainder of his life. 2
Goff appeared to be an experienced and influential entrepreneur before he
arrived in Charlotte. His obituary mentions that he had been the President
of the New Bedford Shuttle Company (New Bedford, Massachusetts), the
President of the Standard Ring Traveler Company (New Bedford, Massachusetts)
and the Director of the Industrial Trust Company (Providence, Rhode Island).
In addition, Goff owned stock in Charlotte's Chadwick-Hoskins Company.
3 Goff Street, near the Chadwick-Hoskins Mill, is probably named after
Miss Johnsie Dickson (1885-1979) became Jeremiah Goff's wife in 1908 at
age 23. She was born in Georgia, but apparently was living in Charlotte when
they married. She lived to age 93 and was active in many organizations
during her life. Her obituary lists memberships in the Colonial Dames,
Daughters of the American Revolution, Charlotte Debutante Club, Charlotte
Country Club, Athena Book Club, Charlotte Music Club, St. Peter's Episcopal
Church and the Daughters of the King. In addition, she served in the Motor
Corps during World War I. 4
Jeremiah and Johnsie Goff resided in various places during the early
years of their marriage. The City Directories show them residing at the
Selwyn Hotel, the Blandwood Apartments, and 15 N. Poplar Street between 1908
and 1915. After 1915, they moved permanently to this house on Queens Road.
5 Interestingly, 1915 is the year that Queens Road was first
The Goffs were 27 years apart in age and had no children. As far as can
be discerned, they resided in this house alone until Jeremiah 's death in
1931. Mrs. Goff remained in the house until she was in her 90s. She moved to
the Wesley Nursing home in 1978, at which time the house was sold. 7
North Carolina National Bank (now NationsBank) handled the transaction of
the property in February of 1978, in their capacity as executor for the
estate of Jeremiah Goff. The property was transferred to Francis Joseph
Beatty, Jr, who sold it two months later to C. Jennings and Linda Snider.
The Sniders conveyed the property the next day to Edward Donald and
Elizabeth Laney Smith (as Laney-Smith, Inc.). 8
It is doubtful that Beatty or the Sniders ever resided in the house, but
the Smiths lived there for five years. During their tenure, the Smiths
undertook some alterations. They repainted the exterior, added showers into
the bathrooms, and turned the sewing room into a bathroom. Mr. Smith died in
May of 1983, and Miss Smith sold the house to the current owners in November
of that year. 9
1 Charlotte Observer, April 22, 1931; Sally Hentz,
"Historic Preservation Report on 1116 Queens Road," (class paper, University
of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992), p. 2.
2 Charlotte City Directories, 1902-1909.
3 Charlotte Observer, April 22, 1931.
4 Charlotte Observer, April 22, 1931; Charlotte
Observer, 19 October 1979.
5 Charlotte City Directories, 1908-1915.
6 Thomas W. Hanchett and Mary Norton Kratt, Legacy: The
Myers Park Story (Charlotte: Myers Park Foundation, 1986), p. 85.
7 Charlotte City Directories, 1978-79; Hentz, p. 3.
8 Hentz, pp.3-4; Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, Deed Book
4034, pp. 808-10; Deed Book 4046, p. 690; Deed Book 4046, pp. 758-59.
9 Hentz, p. 4.
In 1915, the Colonial Revival style was the height of fashion in
Charlotte and throughout much of the country. That Jeremiah Goff built his
house in desirable Myers Park and chose this sophisticated style makes a
statement about his standing in the community. The image portrayed by this
fine home reflects tradition, fidelity, solidity, and prosperity--all
attractive qualities in a successful businessman.
Surrounded by deciduous trees, the Goff House stands 2-1/2 stories tall
and is of
frame construction with weatherboard siding. The facade is symmetrical,
five bays wide with a center entry and gabled portico. The pediment is
supported by grouped
Tuscan columns and features a modillioned cornice. The entry consists of
a six-panel door surrounded by partial
sidelights and a curved
fanlight. Above the portico, a Palladian window lights the center bay of
the second floor.
The house has a side-gabled
asphalt-shingled roof which is pierced by three gabled
dormers in the front. On the rear elevation, there is a single oversized
dormer which holds a pair of small, fixed-sash
windows. In addition, a tripped roof extends out from the main roof,
shielding a rear sleeping porch.
The second floor sleeping porch is cantilevered (having no visible means
of support) out from the rear elevation on the south side. It is ventilated
on three sides by 10 twelve-over-one sliding sash windows. The south two
bays in the rear (which contain the kitchen) extend out beyond the plane of
the elevation, forming an ell which supports only a portion of the sleeping
porch above. A small screened porch shields the center entry on the first
story, and a tripartite window with a curved fanlight is found on the second
story. Multi-paned sash windows complete the other bays of the rear
Two enclosed sun porches extend out from either side elevation. Both are
completely enclosed on three sides by multi-paned fixed-sash windows. The
raking cornices of the side elevations are punctuated by simple curved
modillions, and the gable ends are pierced by quarter-round windows.
On the interior, a wide vestibule greets the visitor as he enters through
the front door. The space is illuminated by the sidelights and fanlight
surrounding the front door, and also by sidelights flanking the hall door.
All four sidelights and the fanlight feature beveled glass. The raised-panel
interior hall door is identical to the exterior front door.
The center hallway is dominated by a dog-legged
staircase with open stringers, a shaped
handrail and square-section
balusters. The starting step has a circle end--that is, it is rounded on
the outer edge and projects out further than the other steps. The balusters
continue down the stairs and around the edge of the circle step, supporting
the handrail, which ends in a volute (spiral) pattern at the
newel post. Upstairs, the landing newels are square with shaped caps.
The landing is illuminated by a tripartite, multi-paned window topped by a
Wide framed doorways separate the hall on the first floor from both the
living and dining rooms. Fluted columns have been added (not original to the
house) within the openings to create colonnades, a feature not unusual in
houses built in the early twentieth century. A small bathroom opens up off
the rear of the hallway.
Original woodwork remains throughout the house. The hall and both the
living and dining rooms are encircled by a dentilled cornice. The living
room mantelpiece is original and features a row of dentils just beneath the
shelf, which is supported by fluted pilasters. Cabinetry in the pantry
remains that features sliding doors--solid single-panel doors on the bottom
and glazed doors on top of the unit. Another set of cabinets in the pantry
appears to be a later addition.
On the second floor, there is a center hall, three bedrooms, three
bathrooms, and a sleeping porch. A small room at the top of the stairs is
said to have originally been a sewing room, but was converted into a
bathroom by previous owners. This room features a Palladian window that
overlooks Queens Road. The master bedroom is the largest and has a
fireplace, two closets and a bathroom with original fixtures. On the other
side of the hallway, there is a smaller bedroom (in the front) and a den (in
the rear). There is a bathroom off the den, which also retains original
fixtures--only the stall shower was added. Off of the den, the sleeping
porch overlooks the back yard, and has multi-paned sash windows on three
Outbuildings and Landscaping
hipped-roof frame garage stands at the rear corner of the lot. It was
built for two cars and features fanlight-type windows in each half of the
double garage door. The building itself includes a room at the back, with a
separate, recessed entry and a small chimney flue.
Deciduous trees and shrubs ring the property, leaving the front lawn open
to Queens Road. A paved driveway runs along the south side of the lot,
leading back to the garage and a gravel parking area.
Herringbone brick paths lead from the front door through the yard to
Queen's Road and also along the side of the house to the driveway. A similar
path circles the back yard, delineating the gardens.
Cultivated gardens circle the back yard and feature various flowering
plants, including spring bulbs, Wisteria, and Azalea. A natural wood pergola
marks the entrance to the garden. The predominant structure, however, is a
latticework shelter with a shingled hip roof. A stone and concrete birdbath
stands in the shade at the north side of the house, and is said to be
As far as can be discerned, little or no original material has been
removed from the Goff House since the date of construction. Items added by
current or previous owners include the columns in the first floor doorways,
cabinetry in the pantry, cornerbeads above the living room fireplace, and
the shower in the second floor bathroom. The second floor guest bathroom has
been added the kitchen has been modernized. The house, grounds and
outbuilding are in excellent condition.
In close-to-original condition, the Goff House represents a fine example
of early-twentieth century Colonial Revival architecture in one of
Charlotte's earliest and most-desirable suburbs. It reveals a style and
standard of living available to a well-to-do businessman during the 1910s.
The house stands as a good illustration of the Colonial Revival style. It
contains many characteristic components of the style, especially the
symmetrical facade with center entry, side-gabled roof with dormers, end
chimney, and center hall plan. Additionally, the Classically-inspired
portico, Palladian window, glazed front door surround, quarter-round gable
end windows all speak the Colonial Revival language.
Jeremiah Goff could afford to build his house in a manner not always
available to the average middle class American. Some finer details in the
house include the beveled glass, Palladian window, and interior woodwork.
That quality materials and workmanship were used remains evident today, and
bears testament to the high caliber of this building.