G. G. GALLOWAY HOUSE
This report was written on July 5, 1985
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the G.
G. Galloway House is located at 602 East Morehead Street, Charlotte, North
2. Name, address and telephone number of the present owner of the
Mr. Nelson M. Casstevens, Jr.
Charlotte, NC 28234
Representative photographs of the property: This report contains
representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property: This report
contains a map which depicts the location of the property.
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most recent
deed to this property is recorded in Deed Book 4425, Page 399. The Tax
Parcel Number of the property is 123-023-l0.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property: This report contains
a brief historical sketch of the property prepared by Dr. William H.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains a brief architectural description of the property prepared by Mr.
Joseph Schuchman, edited and revised by Dr. Dan L. Morrill.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria set forth in N.C.G.S. 160A-399.4:
a. Special significance in terms of its history, architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the G. G. Galloway House does possess special significance in
terms of Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the
following considerations: 1) the G. G. Galloway House, erected in 1914-15
for Gaston Gilbert Galloway (1880-1974) and his wife, Carrie Marshall
Brown Galloway (1885-1972), is the only surviving structure in what was
once an imposing residential district on the south side of the western end
of E. Morehead St. in Dilworth, Charlotte's first streetcar suburb; 2) the
G. G. Galloway House was designed by William H. Peeps (1868-1950) an
architect of regional significance in the first half of the twentieth
century in Charlotte and its environs; 3) the G. G. Galloway House is a
significant local example of the Bungalow style with English Tudor motifs
also employed; and 4) the original owners, Mr. and Mrs. G. G. Galloway,
were important figures in the local civic and business community of
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling,
and/or association: The Commission contends that the attached
architectural description by Mr. Joseph Schuchman, edited and revised by
Dr. Dan L. Morrill, demonstrates that the property known as the G. G.
Galloway House meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for an automatic deferral of 50%
of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which becomes
"historic property." It should be noted that the current appraised value of
the property is: Improvement - $166,280. Land (.480 acres) - $79,500. Total
- $245,780. The property is zoned B1.
Date of Preparation of this Report: July 5, 1985
Prepared by: Dr. Dan L. Morrill
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission
1225 S. Caldwell St.
Charlotte, NC, 28203
Dr. William H. Huffman
As the receptionist of the law firm of Casstevens and Hanner said from
behind her desk in the cozy entry hall of the former Gallaway house, which
has a clear view of the elegantly furnished adjoining room, "everyone says
this is just like working in a home rather than an office." Indeed, in spite
of the expected compliment of desks, files, typewriters, telephones and word
processors of a modern office, the decoration and restoration efforts of
Barbara Casstevens for her husband's law firm has resulted in an extensively
refurbished grand house sensitively adapted for office use.
The ten-room house was built in 1914-15 by Gaston Gilbert Galloway
(1880-1974) and Carrie Marshall Brown Galloway (1885-1972) as their first,
and only, home following their marriage in 1913 or 1914.1 G. G.
Galloway, a lifelong real estate man, hailed from Mount Airy when he became
vice-president of the Charlotte-based Trader's Land Co. in 1911.2
The president and founder of the real estate firm was Peter Marshall Brown
(1859-1913), one of Charlotte's leading citizens and Galloway's future
father-in-law. P. M. Brown was a Charlotte native who inherited considerable
business and real estate holdings in the city from his father, John L. Brown
(d. 1893). In 1901 and 1903, he was elected mayor of Charlotte, and had been
the chairman of the county commissioners from 1898 to 1900. In addition to
being a director of the Commercial National Bank, Brown was the president of
the Highland Park Manufacturing Co. (textile mills), Southern Real Estate
and Loan Co., and Southern Loan and Savings Bank. With his first wife, the
former Jennie Beecher Bass (d. 1898), he had four children, Carrie Brown,
Mrs. Dolph M. Young, John Bass Brown and William J. Brown. There were no
children from the second marriage to the former Daisy Bell Pharr in 1905.3
When G. G. Galloway assumed the vice-presidency of the Trader's Land Co.
in 1911, P. M. Brown had already built his own home in the new
streetcar suburb of
Dilworth on East Boulevard. 4 In 1913, Galloway was shown as
a first vice-president of the company, but it was a year of even greater
change: P. M. Brown died suddenly.5 Shortly thereafter, G. G.
Galloway became president of Trader's Land Company, and about the same time
married Carrie Marshall Brown. 6 At first the newly wed couple
lived in the Brown family home on East Boulevard, but soon made plans to
build a place of their own. 7Along with two other family members
(Mr. and Mrs. Dolph M. Young and William J. Brown), the Galloways purchased
a lot from the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company (commonly called
the 4 C's) on East Morehead Street between Caldwell and Euclid in April,
The 4C's had been established in 1890 by Edward Dilworth Latta to develop
Charlotte's first streetcar suburb, which was made possible by the building
of an electric trolley system from the city center to the heart of the new
residential area, Latta Park. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth
centuries, the beautifully landscaped park surrounding a lake saw many
sporting events and traveling shows in its pavilion, and was an outdoor
social center and amusement park. Then, as now, the suburb contained a wide
range of houses. The wealthy tended to build their great houses along the
main boulevards (East and South Boulevards, and Morehead Street), but many
of the side streets, there are quite modest homes, and on the south side was
a mill village which belonged to the Atherton Cotton Mill (built by New
South industrialist D. A. Tompkins). Latta built his own mansion on East
Boulevard where the Greek Orthodox Church now stands. 9
When three of P. M. Brown's children chose to build their own homes near
the summit of Morehead Street, they had excellent sites with a commanding
view of the city. All three also engaged the same architect, William H.
Peeps (1868-1950), to design the new houses. Peeps was a native of London,
England, and came to Charlotte in 1905 from Grand Rapids, Michigan. During
his nearly forty-five years as a practicing architect here, he left a
significant legacy of commercial and residential designs throughout the
city. Among his best known works are the
(for E. D. Latta, 1914), the Court Arcade (1927-8), Ivey's
Department Store (1924),
Ratcliffe Flowers (1929), and many fine residences, including that of
the fourth of P. M. Brown's children, John Bass Brown, as well as those of
F. D. Lethco, J. B. Ivey, John M. Scott and a number of others. 11
When W. J. Hyndman, the builder, took out a building permit for the
Galloway house on July 28, 1914, it was estimated to cost $12,000.00.
12(Deed restrictions required a house of not less than $6000 to be
built on the lot, which cost $5000). 13 It was probably well into
1915 before the ten-room house was completed. Peeps' design contained some
interesting features, including an unusually large front porch, the use of
exterior stone, an angled front stairway, and a den with rounded arch
windows which reminds one of a second-floor office in a turn-of-the-century
building. By any standard it was a large, well appointed house.
It was in this grand house that the Galloways, who did not have children,
lived nearly sixty years. A niece, Carrie Marshall Gilchrist, recalls many
happy hours and social occasions at the house. Mr. Galloway remained a real
estate broker and developer his entire professional life, and handled many
uptown transactions. (The story is told about the measure of his success
that he sold the Duke mansion in Myers Park no less than three times.)
After Mr. Galloway passed away in 1974, the house went through a series
of owners, and was for a time the Stonehenge Restaurant. Since its purchase
in 1981 by Nelson Casstevens, Jr. for his law firm offices, the Galloway
house has been extensively restored in a way that effectively brings back
much of the quality of the original.15
1 Charlotte Observer, Nov. 9, 1972, p. 10C; Ibid., July
2, 1974, p. 9B.
2 Charlotte City Directory, 1911, p. 201.
3 Charlotte Observer, Nov. 13, 1932, p. 1B.
4 Charlotte City Directory, 1911, p. 137.
5 Ibid,, 1913, p. 185; see note 3.
6 Charlotte City Directory, 1914, p. 231.
8 Deed Book 325, p. 58, 18 April 1914.
9 " The New South Neighborhoods: Dilworth," Charlotte
Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission, 1981.
10 Papers of William Peeps, Special Collections, Atkins
Library, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
11 Charlotte Observer, Sept. 11, 1950, p. 1B; George W.
Hamilton, ed., William H. Peeps AIA (Charlotte: News Publishing
12 Building Permit No. 1349, 28 July 1914.
13 See note 8.
14 Interview with Carrie Marshall Gilchrist, Charlotte, NC 19
15 Deed Book 4425, p. 399, 24 Aril 1981; interview with Nelson
and Barbara Casstevens, Charlotte, NC 16 Dec. 1983.
In planning the suburb of Dilworth, the Charlotte Consolidated
Construction Company or Four Cs envisioned a grid plan, tree-lined
neighborhood delineated by three grand thoroughfares, East Boulevard, South
Boulevard, and Morehead Street. The G. G. Galloway House is a fruition of
this effort and is one of the finest of the remaining residences on East
Gaston Gilbert Galloway (1880-1974) and his wife, Carrie Marshall Brown
Galloway (1885-1972) purchased this lot from the Four Cs on April 18, 1914,
for $5,000. The land was identified as Lot Number 10 in Square 31 at
Dilworth. The deed specified a 50-foot setback from the street and a
building cost of at least $6,000. Construction began within a few months
after the purchase of the land.
Bungalow style dominates the exterior appearance, subtle and handsome
traces of the English
Tudor Revival style are evident in the G. G. Galloway House. The
well-preserved residence is recessed from the street and occupies a
landscaped lot. The G. G. Galloway House is located near the entrance of
Dilworth, as one travels from uptown Charlotte along Morehead Street. Today,
the house owes its appearance not only to the designs of the British born
and trained architect William H. Peeps but also to the careful restoration
and rehabilitation effort supervised by Barbara Casstevens, wife of Nelson
Casstevens, the current owner. The G. G. Galloway House now serves as the
office for the law firm of Casstevens, Hanner, & Gunter, of which Mr.
Casstevens is the senior partner.
The exterior of the G. G. Galloway House is asymmetrically arranged.
Rectangular cut wood shingles are the primary sheathing material.
Projecting side bays and oriels are covered in stuccoed pebble dash set
within rectangular wood frames. A jerkinhead-on-gable
roof covers the triple pile main block. Ornamental gable end brackets
and exposed rafters are typical of the Bungalow style. Exterior openings are
placed within plain surrounds with a crown molded lintel.
Windows have a molded sill. Although 1/1 sash are the primary glazing
light, the house incorporates a wide variety of window sizes and shapes.
Tripartite segmental arched windows ornament the east and rear elevations. A
series of casement windows, each with geometric lights, are centrally placed
in the end gables of the sides and rear. The foundation is of brick,
common bond. Asphalt shingle is the primary roofing material.
hip roof porch dominates the front elevation, wraps around the east side
to a projecting ell and terminates in a port-cochere on the west. The
present owner has landscaped the area under the porte-cochere and created a
new driveway a few yards to the west. The porch's foundation and massive
square piers are of field-stone construction. Rectangular grate openings are
placed in the foundation of the porch, and the underside of the porch roof
is sheathed in tongue-and-groove ceiling. Oversize brackets support the
entrance overhang, and the off-center main entrance is framed by fluted
piers which rest on a rectangular base and rise to a molded capital. The
six-panel entrance door was installed by the present owner; a stationary
beveled transom is located above the door, and a weatherboard bond runs
across the elevation and serves as a belt course between the first and
On the second story, a tripartite arrangement of
casement windows is flanked by Tudor style 6/1 window sash. Louvered
shutters ornament the double sash. A hip-roofed
dormer, with casement windows and exposed rafters, is centrally placed
and projects from the attic.
On the side and rear elevations, continuous bands of weatherboard serve
as a belt course between the first and second story and the second story and
the attic. On each side is a straight run fieldstone chimney, which cuts
through and rises sharply above the roofline. On the east side, a shallow
two-story ell projects from the center bay. Diamond paned casements, a
typical English Tudor Style feature, light the first story. A series of
geometrical shapes, covered in stucco, encircles the base of the second
story. A series of ells and oriels highlights the west elevation, and
brackets support the underside of a stair hall and second story projection.
Diamond pane transoms highlight the front bay window grouping.
Two ells run across the first story of the rear elevation. A formerly
open porch, which formed a major portion of the larger ell, was enclosed by
1981 and is sheathed in rectangular cut wood shingles similar to those which
cover the remainder of the house. The raised concrete walkway and
handicapped entrance were added by Mr. Nelson Casstevens. The remainder of
the elevation is flush with the exterior wall.
The interior has been handsomely restored and rehabilitated for office
use. Rooms are simply appointed, typical of early twentieth century design,
but the woodwork is elegantly detailed. Openings are framed by molded
The main entrance leads into a reception hall from which first story
rooms radiate. A molded baseboard and chair rail encircle the room. An
entablature, composed of a molded architrave and cornice and a plain frieze,
frames the vertical ceiling beams. Identical roofline cornices are found in
the living and dining rooms.
Paneled double doors, approximately eight feet high, lead to the former
living room, which now serves as a conference room. Similarly executed doors
also connect the living and dining rooms. A cast iron mantle, typical of
English Tudor motifs, is centrally placed between the fenestration on the
east wall. The
Tudor arch frames the rectangular opening and a marble surround.
Spandrels are ornamented with floral details. The entablature, consisting of
a denticulated architrave, plain frieze, and molded cornice and shelf, is
set between the ornamented end piers. The beamed ceiling, like that in the
reception hall, is indicative of the English Tudor influence. A baseboard,
chair rail, and roofline entablature encircle the room.
Remaining first story rooms open off an irregularly shaped center hall,
which runs from the reception hall to tile rear of the house. The dining
room, perhaps the house's most elaborate interior space, contains fine
woodwork. Vertical piers, set between rectangular plastered panels, form a
wainscot between the molded baseboard and a bracketed chair rail. A
built-in buffet is set beneath the diamond pane casements. This recessed
space is set between piers which rest on the baseboard and rise to molded
capitals. The brick fireplace is faced in vertical and horizontal soldier
courses. Brackets support a simple mantle shelf. Ceiling beams are
geometrically arranged, and the diamond shaped beams, at the room's center,
reflect the shape of the casement window panes.
The main stairs to the second story are set at a 45 degree angle in the
reception hall, diagonally across from the front entrance. The open string
stairs rise five steps to a landing. Plain
banisters and tapering
newel posts rise to a plain
handrail. Newel posts rise to a geometrically ornamented top, the
simplicity of which recalls the Prairie School designs of Frank Lloyd
Wright. A tripartite grouping of 1/1 sash light the stair landing. An
enclosed stair-well (possibly for servants' use) runs off the center hall
and joins the main stair at this landing. The staircase turns east and rises
enclosed. Plain banisters rest on bracket-like supports. Second story newel
posts are similar to those found on the first level.
The former den is located at the rear of the house. A tripartite
segmental arch window, with stationary transoms, is located on the east and
rear walls. The fieldstone mantle displays a
segmental arch opening and a rectangular wood shelf. A molded baseboard
and cornice encircle the room.
The floor plan of the (now enclosed) rear porch, kitchen and pantry has
been altered to serve the office needs of the present owner. The renovations
are sympathetic to the building. The kitchen mantle had previously been
removed by a former owner.
Second story rooms radiate off the center hall. Rooms have a molded
base-board and cornice, and openings are set in molded surrounds. Second
floor mantles were removed by a former owner.
The present owner has added a front bedroom mantle. Yellow tile flanks
the rectangular opening, which is framed by an egg and dart border. The
plain frieze has clipped ends with an egg-shaped inset. The molded shelf
rises to an egg and dart molded cornice.
The largest of the bedrooms (likely the former master bedroom) has been
divided to form two offices. The remainder of the original floor plan
remains largely intact. An enclosed stair rises to the unfinished attic.