Summaries of Significant Mecklenburg County Rural Resources
James A. Blakeney House (MK 1219), Blakeney Heath Road. The
irregular form of the house, wrap-around porch and other details indicate
the Queen Anne inspiration for this 1905 - 1906 Folk Victorian farmhouse.
The size and modern style of this dwelling indicated the success of its
original owner, James A. Blakeney. This property is a locally designated
Richard F. Blythe House (MK 1457), Beatties Ford Road. Built around
1848, The R.F. Blythe House is two-story, three-bay frame house with brick
exterior end chimneys, a two-story rear wing and one-story rear ell. A
Bungalow style porch was added to the rear of the house in 1928.
Outbuildings include a log smokehouse. The appearance of the farmstead was
dramatically altered by the flooding of Lake Norman, now quite near the
house. However, this intrusion created a beautiful, isolated setting for the
property. This property is a locally designated historic landmark.
Bradford House (U - 12), Davidson - Concord Road. This simple
I-house is an important part of the rural character of the Ramah Church
area. Located near the Shoaf House, the two properties offer a glimpse of
uninterrupted rural character. The property retains several outbuildings and
was probably built in the mid to late nineteenth century.
the two pictures above are the Bradford House (top) and
Bradford House & Store (MK 1283), Davidson - Concord Road. The
original section of this house was one story built in the 1880s. It likely
existed when William Bradford bought the farm in 1890. Bradford added the
second story soon after he purchased the property. The house is two stories
tall, two rooms deep, with a front gabled projecting wing. Bradford was a
county commissioner and a chicken farmer. The store was built in 1913 from
concrete blocks made on the premises. A cotton gin was also on the property,
but it was destroyed by fire. The property was owned by a descendent in
Byrum Bungalow (U - 01), Steele Creek Road. This early twentieth
century bungalow was not included in the 1988 Gatza Survey. Thus, its
historic name is not presently known. The modest house is significant to the
historic Hayes-Byrum store area.
Byrum Cottage (U - 02), Steele Creek Road. Located directly behind
Hayes-Byrum Store, this late nineteenth century gable and wing cottage is a
significant part of the Hayes-Byrum Store area. The history of this property
is not presently known since it was not included in the 1988 survey.
William Lester Byrum House (MK 1356), Steele Creek Road. This
house was built just after the turn of the century by William Lester Byrum.
It stands two stories with one story rear ells on the south and north sides.
The house has a side gable roof with a projecting front-gable wing.
Two-over-two sash windows, a fluted front door, transom window, and a single
interior chimney are features of the Folk Victorian house. The front porch
wraps around the house and displays a central pediment, classical columns
and a hipped roof. The house is significant unto itself, but more
importantly in association with the Hayes - Byrum store which is located
next door. Lester Byrum purchased the store from George Hayes along with
this house lot around 1900.
Caldwell Station School (MK 1284), off NC 115. Built in the 1920s,
this school resembles the Rosenwald Schools found in Mecklenburg County. It
would not have qualified for the Rosenwald funds, however, because this
school was used by white children. Rehabilitated by a cooperative of parents
in 1991, the building is currently used as a pre-school. It is an excellent
example of a small community school and is a testament to the possibilities
of adaptive reuse.