AND RESEARCH REPORT
McCoy’s Barbershop/Pineville Post Office
1. Name and location of
the property: The
property known as the McCoy’s Barbershop/Pineville Post Office (former)
is located at 319- 321 Main Street, Pineville, North Carolina.
2. Name and address of
the present owner of the property:
The present owner of the
W. A. Yandell Rental and Investment Co.
PO Box 386
Pineville, NC 28134
photographs of the property:
This report contains
representative photographs of the property. Photographs are available at
the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission office.
4. Maps depicting the location of the property:
This report contains a map depicting the location of the property.
5. Current deed book
reference to the property:
The most recent deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County
Deed Book 02036
on page 293. The tax parcel number of the property is 22106102.
6. A brief historical
sketch of the property:
This report contains a brief historical sketch of the property.
7. A brief architectural
description of the property:
This report contains a brief
architectural description of the property.
8. Documentation of why
and in what ways the property meets criteria for designation set forth
in N. C. G. S. 160A-400.5:
Special significance in terms of its history, architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the McCoy’s
Barbershop/Pineville Post Office (former)
does possess special significance in terms of
Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the
1) Built in 1955, the buildings at 319 and 321 Main Street in
Pineville have historically held an important and prominent position in
the town’s commercial core.
2) The McCoy’s
Barbershop/Pineville Post Office (former) was the final home to McCoy’s
Barbershop, a longtime institution central to the social and political
history of the Town of Pineville.
McCoy’s Barbershop/Pineville Post Office (former) is closely
associated with C. H “Bo” McCoy, who was a prominent Pineville
citizen and businessman for much of the twentieth century, and who
served for decades as the town's mayor.
b. Integrity of design,
setting, workmanship, materials, feeling and/or association:
The Commission contends that
the physical and architectural description which is included in this
report demonstrates that the McCoy’s Barbershop/Pineville Post Office
(former) meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem tax
Commission is aware that designation would allow the owner to apply for
an automatic deferral of 50% of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any
portion of the property which becomes a designated "historic landmark."
The current total appraised tax value of the land and improvements is
$1,010,400. 319-321 Main Street occupies 3,060 square feet of the 20,105
total square feet of improvements on the tax parcel.
10. Portion of property
recommended for designation:
The exterior of the building, the land on which it sits, and the
sidewalk directly in front of the building as shown on the attached map
are recommended for historic designation.
Date of preparation of
this report: April
Stewart Gray and Hope Murphy
Pineville - Main Street
Pineville, North Carolina is located approximately eleven miles south of the city of
Charlotte. The small town had its beginnings as a train stop when
the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad opened a depot in 1852. The town,
incorporated in 1873, became a busy center for agricultural support and
textiles in the next few decades.
In 1890 businessmen from Charlotte opened the Dover Yarn Mill in
Pineville. By the time the Mill had added a weaving department in
1902 over two hundred people were employed at the Mill. In 1903
the population of Pineville had reached 700, most of them involved in
some way with the cotton industry. Those not employed by the mill
labored as cotton farmers. Autumn would bring farmers to Main
Street where they would form long lines in order to have their cotton
ginned. Saturdays would also bring farmers to town to shop, pay
debts, or trade mules.
most of its history the south side of Main Street has been owned by the
Yandell family. W. A. “Willie” Yandell began acquiring land on the
south side of Main Street beginning in 1919. In that year he
purchased one half acre from C. H. Griffin and his wife Rana
During the next four years Yandell acquired additional Main Street
frontage from the Wherry and Bailes families.
In a 1987 interview in the Charlotte Observer, Willeen Yandell, W.A.’s
daughter, recounted that when her father arrived in Pineville in 1912
Main Street was only a wagon path. The elder Yandell, recognized
that the growing town needed services like grocery stores and began to
Into the 1930’s Main Street in Pineville remained only one of the two paved
streets in Pineville, the other being Polk Street. In June of 1929
the business owners along the street petitioned the Mayor of the town
and Board of Alderman to “grade and pave” the street. The property
owners, Mr. Yandell being the largest with 250 feet of frontage, agreed
to pay one-quarter of the cost of the project.
By the 1930’s Pineville housed along its two block business district:
five general stores, a dime store, a drug store, a doctor’s office,
hardware store, pool room, livery stable, blacksmith, post office,
icehouse, movie theatre, and funeral home.
Street had been extended beginning in 1927. When a bridge was built over
the nearby Big Sugar Creek, Main Street became part of the main route
between Charlotte to Pineville’s north and Columbia, South Carolina to
the south. Yandell, realized a boom in his burgeoning business
when work crews arrived in Pineville to begin work on the project.
Yandell recounted to newspaper reporter Joe Flanders in the 1960’s that
he remembers the day shortly before Christmas of 1927 when the road
contractor arrived in Pineville. He had with him 50 teams of mules
and enough men to run them. Faced with no place to house his men,
never mind the mules, the contractor turned to Yandell. For the year
that it took to build the bridge and attached road Yandell housed men at
his hotel on the corner of Main and Culp Street, and found space to feed
and keep the mules.
Joe Griffin recounts that as a young boy in Pineville, during the
1930’s, most people who lived in or near Pineville shopped on Main
Trips to uptown Charlotte, rare in the 1930’s, became more rare during
World War II when gas became rationed.
Griffin recounts that the sidewalk on either side of Main Street was
about four feet wide. Trees and grass were planted between the
sidewalk and the road. This grassy strip served as a place for the
stores to display items on nice days.
During the 1930’s the south side of Main Street, had a barbershop, a
theater, and a post office. There was also a grocery store run by
Yandell, over which there were hotel rooms. Yandell’s business
office was next door. Griffin recounts local residents “could get
a loan, cash a check, pay rent, or seek legal advice” there
Such services would have been vital in the community that lost its only
bank, Pineville Loan & Savings Company, in 1929 at the outset of the
banking crisis that preceded the Depression.
Main Street Pineville 1915
Tom Eubanks, who grew up in the residential section of Main Street,
recounts that the character of the business district remained intact
until the 1960s, and changed most radically in the 1980s. Eubanks
recalls that cotton-laden mule-drawn carts still often lined Main Street
after he returned from the Korean War in 1954.
As Charlotte grew, some of Pineville’s small town character began to
wane. In 1972 Pineville was home to 2000 people within its one square
mile corporate limits. The erection of apartment complexes, malls, and
the Carowinds amusement park three miles west of the city brought
traffic congestion to the sleepy business center.
Charlotte Observer article posits that the shift in the type of retail
stores located along Main Street began in 1983. In that year the W.A. Yandell Rental and Investment Co. rented 329 Main Street to
Betty Hiltz. She opened the China Connection, an antique shop.
Within five years every address on the South side of Main Street, except
two, would be occupied by antique stores.
act that signaled the end of Pineville’s rural character, Tom Eubanks
helped a local farmer remove his cows from the land on which the
Carolina Mall would be erected. The massive commercial development
that followed along Highway 51 between Pineville and Matthews, the
expansion of the City of Charlotte up to and around the boundaries of
Pineville, and the completion of the nearby I-485 beltway
connecting to Interstate 77, have transformed much of the
area around Pineville into a largely suburban landscape.
Retaining a high degree of
physical integrity, the buildings along Main Street are now rare and
significant artifacts that can tell us much about the town of
319-321 Main Street
319 Main Street has
housed a barbershop since it was built in 1955. The first business
in the building was McCoy’s Barbershop, which had existed as a business
on main street in a previous location for as long as locals remember.
Tom Eubanks recalls making a trip to C. H “Bo” McCoy’s barbershop almost
every two weeks as a young boy in the 1930’s. He would climb up on
a board that Mr. McCoy placed across the arms of the chair, and receive
a haircut for which he paid twenty-five cents.
Griffin, also a boy in the 1930’s, recounts that McCoy’s shop offered a
wide array of services when he was growing up. A man could receive
a shave, haircut, shampoo, shoeshine, even a shower. The shop also
served as a community gathering place for men. Griffin recounts
that men came to catch up on local news, gossip, and talk politics.
“You never heard such arguments on politics,” Griffin recounts.
In the 1970’s as rapid change began to come to Pineville, these changes
were often the topic of conversation among the “old-timers” who gathered
in the shop. Some came almost every day to “resurrect other days
and chuckle with slap-kneed glee at one another and their antics of
history of Main Street Pineville demonstrates how men of business, in
the small rural towns, also served as political, civic, and religious
leaders. McCoy served as Pineville Mayor from the late 1930’s
until 1955. At that time he was defeated by druggist R. C. Hair,
who owned a popular soda shop and drug store on the opposite side of
Main St. McCoy was appointed mayor again in 1966 to finish a
term vacated by then Mayor, Hoyt Wigonton. In spite of McCoy's
very public life, Tom Eubanks describes the former mayor as a kind,
religious, and very quiet man. McCoy’s barbershop remained open
until the early 1980’s. In 1989 Summers Barbershop opened at the
Pineville Post Office
adjoining store front, 321 Main Street, housed the Post Office beginning
in the 1960’s. A real estate office was briefly at this location
in the late 1970’s. The storefront appears to have been vacant
until 1999 when the present tenant, Time After Time, a clock dealer and
repair shop moved in.
Barbershop/Pineville Post Office (former) is a solid masonry building
consisting of two one-story storefronts that face north and sit adjacent
to a wide sidewalk. The façade features wire-cut brick laid
principally in running bond, with a common bond section of wall above
the storefront openings. The common bond section features ten rows
of stretches between two rows of headers. The top of the façade
features a simple parapet topped with overlapping tile cap. The
two storefront openings are separated by a narrow section of wall that
runs from the grade to the parapet without embellishment. The
storefront openings are not equal, with the western opening slightly
larger. On the eastern corner of the façade the profile of the
tile cap gives a subtle raised termination point for the parapet.
The storefronts feature
low partial- height wire-cut brick curtain walls laid in running bond,
set back slightly from the façade. These walls are topped with angled
brick sills and support the plate glass storefront windows. The
windows appear original and are secured with original aluminum trim.
The east storefront, # 319, contains an original single-light wooden
door in a wooden frame. A transom over the door has been covered
with a plywood panel. To the west of the door is a single plate
glass window. The west storefront, # 321, features a replacement door
centered in the opening. A transom is located over the door and is
held in place by the original aluminum trim. The slope of the site
allows the floor in 321 to step down slightly, and the curtain walls
under the storefront's two plate glass windows are set lower than the
storefront window in 319.
While the façade was laid
in brick, the exposed east side and rear walls were constructed with
8”x16” concrete block. The east wall is blank and feature a single
step in the tile-topped parapet. Where the façade and the east
wall intersect the wire-cut brick and the concrete block are woven
together. The rear elevation is utilitarian and features roughly
finished corners and openings. Fenestration is limited to rear
doors from each store space, and three windows. The westernmost
window is a eight-light metal casement window with the top lights fixed
in place. The other windows are simple one-over-one sash window.
The roof is a flat, built-up composite, and is bounded by the parapet
walls on the front and the sides. The roof slopes to the
rear and drains into a gutter.