Summaries of Significant Mecklenburg County Rural Resources
Davidson School (MK 1462) and Old Davidson School (MK 1463), Neck
Road. The newer of these two schools is in a ruinous state near Neck Road.
Built in 1911, the ruinous building replaced the 1890 school behind it
(pictured above). Named for the Davidson family who owned the adjacent Rural
Hill plantation, this school served all grades until 1923. After it ceased
to operate as a school, the simple front gable building served as a tenant
house and then as a hay barn. Restored in 1992 by the Charlotte -
Mecklenburg Historic Preservation Foundation, the building is awaiting
incorporation into an interpretive site.
Davis Brothers General Store (MK 1537), Old Statesville Road. Opened
by Silas W. Davis and his brother Charles in 1908, the store in this
exceptional brick commercial building is still operating. The goods were
delivered on the railroad in front of the property until the 1920s. Charles'
farmhouse was located across the street from the store, while S.W.'s is
located beside it. The signs still visible on the building enhance the
character of this important resource. The property is listed in the National
Register of Historic Places and is a locally designated historic landmark.
S.W. Davis House (MK 1539), Old Statesville Road. Although still a
folk interpretation of the Queen Anne style, the high hip roof with
projecting gables and pediments is not common in Mecklenburg County. In
fact, this house exhibits a lavishness in detail that indicates Davis' high
status as a merchant rather than a common farmer. Located between the Davis
Brothers General Store and Croft Schoolhouse, this house contributes to the
remarkable integrity seen in this tiny enclave. This property is a locally
designated historic landmark and is listed on the National Register of
John Deaton House (MK 1286), Shearer Road. This simple I-house was
built in the 1880s by John Deaton. It features a tin roof, two-over-two sash
windows, a front hip roof porch, and two end chimneys. In the 1930s, a store
located on the property was moved and connected to the rear of the main
house. Although the log barn that existed on the property was destroyed in
the 1930s, a good collection of outbuildings remain behind the house.
John Dinkins House & Lodge (MK 7). The lodge building may have been
the original dwelling for the John Rufus Dinkins family as early as 1788. In
his 1809 will, Dinkins bequeathed thirty-two slaves, a very large number for
that time. The large plantation house was likely constructed between 1795
and 1809. It displays a grand double front porch with full height classical
columns that are uncommon in Mecklenburg County. The influence of the
Georgian style is clearly observed in the massiveness of the building. After
the completion of the plantation house, the old house was used as a lodge
for travelers along the stagecoach road (now Nations Ford Road) from
Charlotte to Camden, South Carolina. The house and lodge were moved to avoid
demolition in 1992. Great care was taken to choose an appropriately rural
site along the stage route. The original relationship between the buildings
was also recreated. This property is an extremely important resource from
Mecklenburg County's early history. The property is a locally designated
John Douglas House (MK 1361), Christie Lane. This circa 1867 house
was built for John Douglas, minister of Steele Creek and Pleasant Hill
Presbyterian Churches. Tradition holds that the choice of this housesite
behind Steele Creek Presbyterian was made with the congregational unrest in
mind. The one and a half story house is a late example of the Greek Revival
style. The property retains some outbuildings and is a good example of a
rural dwelling not associated with agriculture. This property is a locally
designated historic landmark.
Edgewood Farmhouse (MK 1541), Eastfield Road. The circa 1840 house
is one of the few examples of large plantation homes built in Mecklenburg
County. The house was built for Robert Davidson Alexander. Alexander began
his plantation in the one story log dwelling behind this house in 1829. The
fine plantation house is a transitional example, having elements of both the
Federal and Greek Revival styles. The interior chimneys found here are
fairly unusual in Mecklenburg County and most of the southern United States.
The property is a locally designated historic landmark.
Ewart House (MK 1287), Huntersville - Concord Road. Built for John F.
Ewart in 1898 this house was the center of his farm where he grew cotton,
corn, and wheat. Two large frame barns remain on the property owned by Mr.
Ewart's daughter in 1988. The I-house is in the popular "triple-A" form with
a decorative spindle work and sawnwork. The house is well preserved and is
listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is significant for
its distinctive architecture and the high integrity of the farm buildings.
Farm (U - 33), East Rocky River Road. Built in the early twentieth
century, this one story farmhouse is quite modest. More significant than the
house itself is the collection of historic outbuildings and fields that give
an important insight into farm life early in this century. This farm is
still in operation thereby preserving its original use. The property is
currently being researched since it was not included in Gatza's 1988 survey.
Fincher Farm ( U - 23), McKee Road at Weddington Road. This
working farm is an excellent example of an twentieth century farm. The
craftsman bungalow farmhouse was probably built in the late 1920s or early
1930s. Two historic gambrel roof barns along with several other historic and
modern farm buildings exist on this beautiful farm. This farm is significant
because it is a well preserved example of an early twentieth century farm.
More research is being conducted into the history of this previously